Get well soon, Theo Pinson

When you come back, Carolina is going to be the team that nobody wants to take on

Last year, everyone was excited to get the UNC basketball season underway when Marcus Paige suddenly broke his hand.

We are in a similar spot this year–superstar Theo Pinson has broken his foot. He’s out “indefinitely”, which means we don’t know how long it will be until we get to watch him play this year.

When asked about the injury, Roy Williams said, “Theo’s our energy guy, he defends, he’s our best passer, a threat on the offensive boards, he can play four different positions, and he gives our team personality, and I mean that in a good way.”

Theo does a little bit of everything and excels at contributing in ways that may not show up in the box score at the end of the game. It’s impossible to replace someone like that, but it gives an opening for other guys to contribute to finer areas.

First, it opens up the need for a secondary play-maker besides Joel Berry. The team as a whole will need to use better ball movement to help compensate for Theo’s missing passes, which seem to be the most underrated part of his game. Roy says Theo is the best passer and that’s not something to be taken lightly. But if the team can learn to move the ball more efficiently while Theo recovers, it will only help in the long run.

Theo’s rebounding ability will be missed as well. That should put more pressure on guards Joel and Justin to secure rebounds, which will allow the Heels to play at the faster pace Roy has discussed throughout the off-season.

When Theo returns, the rebounding and pace will only improve because he is just as capable as Joel and Justin at grabbing the rebound and leading the break.

His versatility is nearly unparalleled on our roster. His injury means opening the court for multiple people to play at multiple positions. Once they can all contribute versatility and Theo comes back, the depth of Carolina’s skill will truly overwhelm opponents.

The most troubling part of his injury will come on the defensive side of the ball. Not only can Theo play four positions, but he can defend those positions at the highest level. That impact will assuredly be missed.

His injury will likely force either Justin Jackson, Brandon Robinson or Shea Rush to guard the opposing team’s best wing. There may be some growing pains in this transition, but the idea that our defense will improve later in the season is something to keep in mind.

When Theo can come back and resume guarding the top wings in the country, it will allow those three guys to move into a more comfortable position. In the meantime, they have guarded some of the better wings in basketball and will be ready to form a formidable duo with Theo to shut down opposing offenses.

Theo does a little bit of everything for the Tar Heels. While he recovers, the rest of the team will add some of the little things he does to their respective games and that will pay off in the long run.

Make no mistake, we’re going to miss Theo while he recovers. And Carolina won’t just miss his incredible assists–but also his dancing and energy on the sidelines.

Get well soon, Theo. Because when you come back, Carolina is going to be the team that nobody wants to take on.

UNC