I saw President Obama for the first time as a member of the press

‘Thank you, Mr. President. You will be missed’

November 2 marked a historic event for UNC. The President of the United States Barack Obama spoke to a large, overheated crowd and I was there along with thousands of my closest friends to witness it all. I had a great view for my first time seeing the President.

Photo: Brenna Elmore / The Tab.

I did not plan to ever be a member of the press, yet that is where I stood, alongside journalists from CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and more as they covered the presidential visit.

I began an attempt at live tweeting the event that day, but the WiFi failed me. I wanted to let the world know what was going on. Instead, I ended up spending the day like it was 2005 — no Twitter, no constant cell phone distraction.

Appearances of United States senatorial candidate Deborah Ross, North Carolina gubernatorial candidate Roy Cooper, and Chapel Hill native, Grammy winner James Taylor preceded President Obama. They set the stage well for the Clinton campaign, encouraging voters to vote early and for Democratic candidates down the ticket.

Then, the moment arrived. President Obama took the stage. His demeanor showed he fully appreciated this moment, that we was nearly 70 days away from his final day in office. I could truly appreciate President Obama’s words, charisma, and passion. He joked, “I’m about to leave, so I’m just telling you the truth.”

Photo: Brenna Elmore / The Tab.

As a reporter, I did my best to appear as a neutral party. That brought a new perspective to the experience — I did not want to cheer or clap for ideas he mentioned with which I agreed. I wanted to maintain a stoic, nonpartisan expression. I was a member of the press and I ensured that I was a professional one. However, professionalism could not account for my excitement and awe upon the arrival of President Barack Obama.

In that moment, I was not only a human being, but an American. I felt privileged to witness this man advocate for a strong (nasty, if I may) woman on the campus of such an incredible university, a woman who will continue the work he began in the White House. I consider my time among the press at this event nothing less than an honor and something I will cherish for the rest of my life. Thank you, Mr. President. You will be missed.

UNC