A guide to everywhere you can possibly live in Chapel Hill

Brought to you by the senior campus-crawler

It’s that time of year again: the housing portal is open and everyone is frantically trying to decide if they would rather stay in the comfort of the dorms– with their  dining hall meals and twin-sized beds– or begin a new adventure. As someone who transitioned from Granville to mid-campus to an off-campus apartment to a house, I have lived all around Chapel Hill. What’s the best option? Read on to know all about my misadventures in housing.

Granville

I expected certain things with Granville. I knew it had a gym, a dining area, and the famous Agora–where personal pizzas await your savoring. There were also a few things I didn’t expect– like the late-night sounds of drums or the guys throwing pregames that keep you up all night. But don’t worry, not all of the surprises were bad. I didn’t expect to use the complementary massage chairs, but they were great for when exam season rolled around. Something else I didn’t expect: meeting my hall-mates who are still the people I call my soulmates or meeting my best friend by loudly swearing in our teeny, silent study lounge.

The walks to class were never more than 10-15 minutes– usually 15 if we were wasting time at breakfast to stall the start of the academic day. Granville is also close to Franklin street– so convenient but so tempting. Beware shopping sprees at the local boutiques and eating out even when you have lots of Ag swipes.

Summary: Granville’s amenities makes you feel like a pampered prince/princess but don’t get caught up in the materials. Gage what you’re looking for in a dorm to see if the whole package fits your needs. Remember, it’s LOUD.

Mid-campus dorms

While my south-campus friends from freshman year were moving up geographically, I migrated down to mid-campus. Carmichael, known as ‘the athlete dorm’, was relatively quiet. Probably because the residents were spending most of their time at practice or traveling for games. Whether you play sports or watch sports, mid-campus is a perfect location. We were surrounded by the athletic fields. Missing a football game was inexcusable and since we were so close to the baseball diamond, I was dragged to a baseball game or two. I secretly loved it.

One of the coolest things about Carmichael was getting to branch out from four people in a suite to seven. I got really lucky because my resident advisor was much more chill than my freshman year RA. That made suite life even more fun.

Carmichael also gave me the chance to experience the luxurious main-campus dining. I miss Top of Lenoir’s classical music mornings sometimes. But then remember I don’t have to walk in extreme weather for my lunch.

Summary: Carmichael was the low-key cousin who doesn’t say much but always has your back. I never had a night of no sleep before exams because of noise. Mid-campus is a step up from trekking all the way from south campus and it has its perks even for a Granville-ite like myself who wanted to experience traditional dorm life. The people are really great.

Apartments

I didn’t experience the fun of an apartment until the spring of my Junior year, after I returned from a semester of studying abroad. It was a truly emotional experience to PTFO on a bed in a room that was all mine after two years of sharing rooms.

My apartment had four bedrooms with a main living space in the center. It was the perfect space to study– and I didn’t even have to walk to a library or share a study lounge with annoying hallmates. The living space also included a kitchen– which meant I had to cook my own food. While it was stressful at times, as long as you have good groceries and good friends to laugh at you when you burn something, cooking is definitely manageable.

Summary: Apartment living is what you make it. Location is really key for apartments since they are located all around Chapel Hill. Before signing a lease, be sure you consider what you want close.

Houses

By about your second year of school, all you will really care about is how much time you can physically spend lying in bed until the very last second you have to leave for class. A house is a really great place to just lay in bed and most houses near campus are less expensive than apartment buildings. More sleep and less money!

Living alongside neighbors around your age is pretty cool, especially when something exciting like Halloween is going on. Our street is full of undergrads, grad students, and the occasional family who probably hates our guts. Since there are no RAs or Security guards, you get to have a new definition to ‘drinks at my place.’

Summary: Moving into a house gives you that feeling of independence, especially knowing there is no resident advisor or security guard knocking on your door when you’re having too much fun. Another huge perk of a house: decorating to your heart’s content. You’re allowed to have personality here.

UNC