I went a week without coffee and I turned into a big grump

‘My soul is dark without coffee’

Like most UNC students, I love coffee. Coffee ice cream, coffee candles, coffee coffee. Coffee is my best friend. Scratch that, my Keurig is my best friend (Starbucks is a close second). I might as well hold a share in Starbucks.

So I thought it’d be fun to see if I could make it a week without coffee. That meant no coffee in class, no coffee after my mid-afternoon nap and no coffee during my late night cramming.

The results? I turned into a big grump.

Thursday

LOL. I have an 8am. I fell asleep about three times. On to Chemistry, I fussed at two people for asking me questions. And when I said I was tired, they said: “We all are.” Like jeez, someone didn’t drink any coffee this morning.

Friday

I went to my best friend’s themed cocktail. This is hour 12 without coffee. I should be in bed. This is hard. I also don’t know anyone here and I think coffee would have helped me look a little more alive.

All black everything because my soul is dark without coffee.

Saturday

Woke up. (Didn’t) Drank (coffee). I studied for Chemistry all day, and all day I was wishing I had coffee. Chemistry and coffee just go hand in hand. I went out to a 21st birthday party that night, and again, coffee would’ve been nice before that.

Sunday

I drank a Coke during lunch so that perked me up a bit. Today was OK – I’m actually somewhat surviving without coffee (look at me!). Until I got to chapter. The whole time I wished I was drinking coffee. I swear I’ve thought about coffee today more than usual.

Monday

LOL part 2. Mondays are hard without coffee. It’s not even a real Monday if you aren’t drinking coffee. I went through my classes and spent four hours in the library. I think today would’ve been easier with caffeine just to keep me going without almost falling asleep.

Tuesday

To be honest, I cheated and drank a bit. I’m so sorry Tab readers. I had a quiz (lame excuse, I know) and I already fell asleep through this class Thursday, so I didn’t want to risk it. If it makes you feel better, I’m pretty sure I did poorly on my quiz.

I really like going to The Daily Grind after my English class. Sadly, no coffee. I bought a hot chocolate. I drank it, all the while wishing it was a White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks. Now I’m tired and sad.

Wednesday

On Wednesdays, my friends and I always get Starbucks before class. Today, I got tea – I mean, it’s not coffee, right? It was super delish, but I really can’t wait for coffee tomorrow.

Honestly, this week was an eye opener. I didn’t realize how much I relied on caffeine until I couldn’t drink it. It’s like that saying, “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.”

UNC