I celebrated Thanksgiving while studying abroad in Europe

This day had been in our planners for weeks

In America, Thanksgiving is a well-known holiday. Being abroad during such an eventful time had its obvious differences, but I was pleasantly surprised by some similarities.

Our professor set up a Thanksgiving meal for us at Natalino, a cozy Italian restaurant five minutes from our apartment. This day had been in our planners for weeks.

Natalino: the long table which sat the party of 15+ Americans

It’s getting to the point in the semester when many of us are excited to see our families again. This was a nice way to keep the family-style comfort around on a very American holiday.

Apparently, when our professors told the Natalino chefs we wanted to do a special “Thanksgiving meal,” they were confused. Americans roast and stuff a turkey?

Guest Kiana Cole, a UNC sophomore, visited this Thanksgiving week. She said her favorite part was the traditional glass of orange juice which she has coincidentally had every year

They agreed to try their hand at it, so we had no idea what to expect food-wise. To be honest, they got off easy. I seriously considered having our group pretend we had some strange Thanksgiving ritual and talk to our turkeys in the restaurant or do something equally as confusing.

The four courses were a pleasant surprise. Instead of typical family-style plates, we each had individual courses served – and quickly. The first was a sampling of salami, prosciutto and chicken pate, which induced reactions ranging from adventurous smiles to gag reflexes. Next up was, of course, a pasta dish. Two varieties were offered: pesto penne and meat sauce spaghetti.

Third, the moment we had been waiting for – the turkey. We each had two small slices on a bed of arugula with mashed potato puree. It was delicious and the turkey was juicy. Tiramisu for dessert was decadent and not overly sweet.

The overall experience yielded various reactions.

“I miss the way you have as many courses as you want at home,” said Lauren Kneesy, a sophomore.

Freshman Laura Yang said: “I love the family style of everyone together, but it’s just not the same as my own.”

Moments like the grueling work of cooking for more than a few days, preparing the house for guests and being surrounding by loved ones were missed by many.

“I love seeing the product of cooking a whole turkey for hours, then ripping it apart for all the stuffing,” said Schuyler Tracy, a junior.

Our lovely professors who brought our American traditions to Italy

Aside from the food, the atmosphere was warm and loving. The laughter, stories and life advice coming from all sides of the table reinstated the grateful feeling I have not only on this day, but every day, to be surrounded by people who make my life a joy.

UNC