You should enroll in a class you wouldn’t normally take at UNC

Actually pay attention to those bulletin boards with the neon fliers

Being a student at UNC can be rough and class registration doesn’t make it any easier. Since the registration rush has died down, you’ve probably been examining your schedule and either proclaimed it’s perfect or you’ve cried because you have less than 12 hours. Maybe the classes you have aren’t the ones you were dreaming of.

If you’ve cried, I’m sorry. If you’ve boasted about how nice your schedule is, don’t worry, a Carolina L will find you eventually.

We’ve all probably heard college is a time to “broaden our horizons” and “try new things.” At Carolina, you’re bound to take a class you weren’t expecting, especially when having to complete your Gen Eds.

Taking classes which wouldn’t normally interest you could be a great opportunity. That’s right, hear me out.

You could have a great professor who ignites a passion inside of you, causing you to change your major. You could meet your next bae. The possibilities are endless when you allow yourself to take a unique class.

If you’re a freshman, UNC offers a plethora of first-year seminars which not only help you transition from a high school to college workload, but may also knock out multiple Gen Eds. These classes are some of the smallest at UNC, so take these while you have the chance.

If you’re not a freshman, finding an interesting class to take might be a bit harder. But if you look hard enough, you’re bound to find something.

The next time you stumble upon a bulletin board, read it. You never know what kind of class offerings might be hiding from you. PUBH 420, known as “The AIDS course,” is worth one credit hour and is also pass/fail. I guarantee you wouldn’t have found this by doing a simple search on ConnectCarolina. So, thank you bulletin board. You rock.

Taking a unique class could even send you across the world. JOMC 447, International Media Studies, does just that. A three credit hour course and a trip over spring break? Awesome.

College is a time to venture outside of our limits and with the classes that UNC offers, it couldn’t be easier to do so.

If you’re still looking for classes, keep your head up. Registration will never be a walk in the park, but if you’re willing to open your mind to new perspectives, your time here at Carolina will be worthwhile.

UNC