My parents met at He’s Not Here

Home of the Blue Cup of love

He’s Not Here – home of the blue cup that holds more than just a large amount of beer. The homegrown bar has been a staple of Chapel Hill since its opening in 1972.

Whether you’re a student or returning alumni, every Tar Heel is probably familiar with the giant pointing hand graffiti on a fading brick wall that points to the two-story, keg-filled hostelry.

Legend holds that many meet their future spouses here, though it is unsure if this claim owes thanks to the 32-ounce-cups of only $3 refillable beer. Regardless, it has fostered many traditions and memories – or forgotten ones.

My parents met at He’s Not back in the summer of 1987. Though I discovered the truth to their first encounter only upon my second year of school, it is one of the many telling stories that are living proof to the He’s Not magic.

Growing up, I always believed my parents met in class during summer school, as they told me they did. Only did naivety lead me to this mistake.

Truth be told, I should have realized that this story was skewed after more and more of their college memories were revealed – many of them tracing back to He’s Not.

When I learned that this is where they actually met – although it was during a summer school session – I couldn’t help but bring to mind an 80’s depiction of He’s Not. Untamed hair, puffy sleeved jackets and the hideous shoulder-pad shirts – hopefully a picture that remains in the past. Despite the many fads that He’s Not has seen over the past few decades, it has remarkably remained a monumental destination in Chapel Hill.

When my dad met my mom at He’s Not, he had been living in Chapel Hill for summer school while working at the local paper. One hot summer night, He’s Not was the move for Trip’s fellow Phi Gamma Delta fraternity brothers and Laura’s Alpha Delta Pi sorority sisters.

He had caught glimpses of Laura several times, but it was not until he saw her walk in from the balcony at He’s Not when he finally decided to make a move.

Trip’s reticence to approach Laura was greatly out of character for his outgoing, goofy persona. This might explain his drunken, incompetent attempt to get her number eight beers later.

Trip said: “I saw her on the top deck about to leave. I was in the bar and quickly grabbed a matchbook and the first thing with which I could write – a worn down pencil.”

Before Trip could let her escape, he managed to attempt a pick up line that still can’t be deciphered to this day.

“I just wanted to know either your last name or your phone number because right now I won’t be able to remember both.”

Perhaps the love spell of He’s Not compromised a sloppy first impression. Or perhaps Laura felt bad for his embarrassment and gave her number as simply a kind gesture. Regardless, a few real dates led them to continue dating for the rest of college.

They’re approaching their 25th anniversary this November.

There may be more details to the true story that I’d rather not know. But what I do know is that He’s Not has graced them with many fond memories of Chapel Hill and has accounted for one of the many stories that Tar Heels keep true to their heart.

He’s Not is still a leading nightlife destination for students, whether it’s pint night or karaoke Sunday.

“He’s Not has been around longer than Michael Jordan’s and Phil Fords’ jerseys have been retired, and seen through eight different university chancellors,” Melissa Muse, a senior at UNC, said. “Alumni who come back 20 years after they graduate go to He’s Not because it’s part of their college memories.”

And the blue cup continues to make its appearance around campus.

“I think almost all of our glasses in our house came from there,” Robert Daniel, senior member of Delta Kappa Epsilon, said.

As He’s Not reaches its 43rd year of business, its legacy clearly continues to live on.

UNC bar carolina chapel hill he's not he's not here love students unc