Being a senior is the most terrifying moment of my life

Trying not to get emotional

This Fall, I have to muster up the courage to say, “I am a senior at the University of Miami.”

Do I want to talk about it? The answer to that question is “no,” simply because it is bittersweet to say that I will be leaving a tropical paradise that I call my campus.

It’s been a rollercoaster few years, and I’ve absolutely loved it. Obviously there’s a lot of work to do, but apart from finals there are definitely a few things I will be trying to nail this year:

Don’t worry about being nostalgic

Contrary to what some might say, it is important to look back to the years that have flown by. It seems like yesterday that I was moving into college while balancing a TGI Friday’s bag and a box from the Cheesecake Factory in my hands – apparently I wasn’t worried about the freshman fifteen.

Being nervous is completely normal

If you couldn’t tell by my U-niform, I was excited to be a ‘Cane. But I was also nervous. And for the same reasons that I was anxious to enter college, I now face similar emotions as I am about to end my time here at UM. “What comes next?” “What is it like to be an adult in the real world?” These are questions that I ask myself.

Find what makes your campus experience unique

For me, music has been that defining factor. I look at a picture like this and am immediately struck with a sense that this will be a special year. Firstly because I will have the opportunity to play in a multitude of concerts on campus and also because I will have a redeeming chance to make sure that my tie is not too short.

It is never too late to make new friends

I intentionally chose this photo because it was taken the week before my senior year actually began. Not only does it consist of a group of students that I have known for years; it also contains individuals that I grew close to within a single orientation week. Go and put yourself out there­– you never know who you might meet.

Surround yourself with positive individuals

Personally, I know that I am going to spend my remaining time with the students and faculty that I care about on campus because they will motivate me to achieve my highest potential as an individual and as a leader. There are some awesome people at UMiami, and it’s all about finding the best ones.

Make sure you go to the football games

Okay I’ll admit, that 58-0 loss to Clemson hurt last year. But if there is one thing that I regret, it has been my football game attendance, or the lack of it. I intend to change that and there is no doubt that you will see me cheering on the orange and green this year. Also, let’s be real, the tailgates are a serious incentive to go as well.

Appreciate an iconic campus

Grab that pumpkin spice latté, post that scenic photo of the Student Center, and just take a seat by the lake. Because before you know it, you’ll be sitting down wearing a graduation gown and those experiences will be behind you. That is what it is to be a senior, but for now, live in the present and appreciate every moment. I know I will.

University of Miami