Why UMiami is now a basketball school through and through

Even though the U is a ‘football school’

I was in 1st grade the very first time I saw the Hurricanes beat the Seminoles on TV, and that was the same day I decided they were my favorite team, and that I wanted to go there for school. After, four years of going to school here and four lackluster seasons of football from my beloved ‘Canes, it’s about time we start calling Miami a basketball school as well as a football school. Here’s why:

We love winners

As a sports fan not born in Miami, it’s very easy to make fun of fans of any Miami sports teams (professional or college) because they are notoriously fair-weather fans. When a team is winning, everyone wants to be there, but when they are losing, the fans are notoriously absent. Our basketball team is currently killing the game in the ACC, the toughest conference in basketball, while our football team has been infamously unsuccessful over the past 13 years.

It’s more personal

During games, fans are practically on the court, and given an extremely acrobatic play, they might even have a player fall into them during game time. This is in stark contrast to football where there’s about 200 feet between you and any player throughout the whole game. It’s just more fun to interact with the athletes than not.

Basketball players don’t wear helmets

They’re recognizable. You’ll see them around campus and be able to say “hey! There’s the guy that just dropped 20 against Duke two nights ago.” While the only player anyone consistently recognizes around campus on the football team is Brad Kaaya.

Heckling

Heckling is a staple of all sports, but in basketball, it’s always taken to a whole new level. There’s nothing more fun than yelling at the top of your lungs while the other team is taking a free throw which he then misses. Football on the other hand, the only people that are going to hear your ridiculous comments about the other team are the few rows in front of you and maybe the cheerleaders if you’re really loud.

Games are more fun

First reason they are more fun, is because you aren’t standing in the scorching hot Miami sun for four hours while probably drunk watching a game that is 200 feet away. The second reason the games are more fun is because the atmosphere inside the BUC is much more communal because when a crowd of 7,000 wants our team to win, you can’t help but get a lot more excited for the ‘Canes.

Hopefully things stay this way and our Hurricanes keep dominating in the ACC and the BUC remains packed. Next year, I am praying to the football gods I will be writing an article about how the football team is back and Mark Richt is the greatest coach ever.

Go ‘Canes!

University of Miami