How Miami has nurtured soccer to grow

Soccer blooms at UM

Resting beside the freshman dorms at UM are the IM Fields. They play host to a variety of activities but one is always likely to find a game of soccer going on there. Miami, in all its might, welcomes soccer with open arms, nourishes the sport, and invites others to join.

Vast open grounds, luscious green grass, and warm sunshine complemented by cool breeze. Sounds appetizing? Sounds about right. Apart from the occasional rainfall, Miami’s weather is very welcoming and it’s been a kind host to the beautiful game known as soccer. It offers the space and conditions that allows a game of soccer to begin at any time of the day. Consider those students going to NYU. Do you think they have the luxury of space to kick around a ball? They’ll have to take two train rides before they find something similar to what we have in Miami. We at UM, just have to walk past a lake to get to open grounds.

The fact that Miami is a melting pot of different cultures also helps boost soccer’s popularity. People from as south as Argentina to the local Cubans in Miami have soccer running through their veins. Add to that the serving of exchange students that show up from England, Germany, and Spain and you have Europeans wanting to add to the mix. Sprinkle in the growing interest for soccer from Americans and you have a sport waiting to emerge.

Also, one of the biggest footballing role models and international celebrity, David Beckham, is launching a soccer franchise in Miami. It will take a couple years before its inauguration, but it is a bold statement that one of the biggest sporting icons has chosen the city of Miami as its desired location.

Miami has opened its arms to soccer and now it’s time for the fans to respond in kind. Newcomers give soccer a try. Regulars, find comfort in the fact that there will always be a game going on. Let’s strap our boots on, be thankful for what Miami has to offer, and start kicking.

Photos by COISO.

University of Miami