This UM freshmen EDM group is taking Miami nightlife by storm

They’re already making an impact on Magic City

Steve Aoki, Jason Derulo, DJ Loco; just some of the hottest artists that came from the electric streets of Miami. So meet the newest up-and-comers on the Miami EDM scene: KILO.

Perry Avgerinos (left) and Jack Dugan (right) of KILO

Jack Dugan and Perry Avgerinos are freshmen at the University of Miami studying music business and finance, respectively, and they’ve just about mastered the art of digital music production. The duo specializes in an emerging subgenre of EDM called Future Bass, something they describe as a very uplifting “melodic trap.”

In addition to being adept producers, Jack and Perry certainly know how to thrill a crowd. “It’s nice to have two people to put on a show,” Jack said. “One person can be up front, acting as that bridge between the mix and the crowd, so it’s a lot higher energy.” The duo have already played two major gigs since coming to the 305 last fall: their first at Heart Nightclub in Downtown Miami, and more recently at Club Fifty in the upscale suburb of Brickell.

KILO performing at Heart Nightclub in Downtown Miami

KILO’s most recent original track, Resurgence, racked up over 15 thousand plays in just a couple of weeks. Jack and Perry were hunched over their equipment in their makeshift dorm room studio, still perfecting the track just 20 minutes before the deadline. “It shows how hard it is to let a song go,” Perry said.

A large part of KILO’s success can be attributed to The Chainsmokers – not only as a source of inspiration, but as mentors. Jack met the pop duo this past summer and they gave him an invaluable piece of advice regarding working as a twosome: don’t let your ego get in the way. “That’s what I’ve been trying to apply to this,” Jack said. This guidance has certainly taken some effect, as working as a team comes naturally for Jack and Perry. “We fit together well because he’s strong where I’m weak,” Jack said. “We have the same kind of work flow ideas.”

With Resurgence out as of January 1st, the duo are working on a few hot projects for their next releases; it’s all very hush-hush now, but they promise it won’t disappoint. “We’re very excited about what’s coming up,” Perry said, as are, I’m sure, KILO’s loyal fans and EDM lovers alike.

You can check out KILO on soundcloud here.

University of Miami