The hidden gems of Ireland

How to be a traveler, not a tourist

So you want to be a traveler? Take it from someone who has spent the most of five months outside the US: Ireland is the perfect country for exploring a new culture and environment. From fostering some of the world’s most incredible natural wonders to providing nightlife so unforgettable you might just remember it in the morning, you’ll want to live every moment to its fullest.

That being said, every travel destination is notorious for its tourist traps. Sure, there are incredible places that everyone naturally gravitates toward, but make sure not to miss out on the lesser well-known gems that Emerald Isle has to offer. Skip the lines, aggravation, and sometimes disappointment of such spots and check out other locales that are just as, if not more, breathtaking. Be a traveler, not a tourist.

Here are a few suggestions for you to reap the best experiences from your time in Ireland.

There is so much more beyond Dublin

The capital city of Ireland is Dublin for good reason – it’s the most populated, and offers a plethora of things to do, especially for tourists. Naturally, you won’t want to miss Dublin, but there are other cities and hidden gems that are must-see spots as well.

Cork City and Galway are two incredible cities that are less crowded/full of tourists. Galway is what many consider to be the best place to get an authentic Irish experience, with its picturesque twists and turns and a port that is beautiful beyond words. Cork is also an ideal spot, full of stunning sights and a hotspot for colleges. It is the perfect spot for young adults who want to experience Ireland while having a good time around people their age.

Explore the terrain

Everyone knows that the Cliffs of Moher and Giant’s Causeway are must-see destinations – and with their jaw-dropping views, they certainly have prime Instagram potential. But don’t forget: Ireland is an island brimming with natural wonders besides these two name-droppers.

While at the Cliffs, check out the Burren and mini-cliffs. These are lesser known but just as spectacular. While at the Ring of Kerry, head over to the Dingle Peninsula, Inch Beach, and Skellig Islands (especially if you’re a fan of Star Wars). While seeing the UNESCO site, the Giant’s Causeway, don’t miss crossing the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and visiting the surrounding coastal area.

There are so many options, your best bet would be to do your research and make sure to experience local spots and hidden gems that are less well-known, but equally impressive.

Quench your thirst, the old Irish way

Drink a Guinness. Go for it, enjoy it, even tour the Guinness Warehouse if you want – just don’t forget that there are so many more Irish brands to try beside’s Ireland’s traditional brew. Start with Smithwick’s, Murphy’s, Beamish, Hop House and Franciscan Well.

Not a beer person? Try out a cider like Bulmer’s or Orchard Thieves. There are all sorts of drinks worth a try, so put yourself up to the challenge and try ‘em all.

Experience the nightlife

Since we’re on the topic, you can’t talk about Irish beer without mentioning Irish pubs. Going to a pub, aka the hub for meeting new people, is having what the Irish call a “good craic.” It really is an experience you can’t miss while traveling, but be careful to not fall for the tourist traps.

Some of the more well-known pubs tend to translate into crowds of tourists and pricey food and drinks, so try to also check out some others that may be even a bit more authentic. Here is just a small list of some great places to try.

In Dublin: The Hairy Lemon, The Bank, P.Mac’s.

In Cork: An Brog, Reardon’s, Franciscan Well, Oliver Plunkett, The Rock Bar.

In Galway: An Púcán, O’Connell’s Bar, The King’s Head.

Eat your heart out

Not everything in Ireland is meat and potatoes. Try out traditional dishes and treats, like a full Irish breakfast, Shepherd’s Pie, Soda bread with Irish butter, and more. (If you don’t already know, Irish butter is pretty much the best butter around – as proof, there is an entire museum dedicated to it in the city of Cork).

Furthermore, don’t miss out on some quick bites at some infamous Irish food chains like Nando’s, the Fish Wife, Boojum, and Hillbilly’s. Perfect for a late night treat after a night out on the town.

Live like a royal

Something that you should absolutely have on your to-do list in Ireland is to visit the old castles and ruins scattered around the country. Of course visit famous spots like Blarney Castle, but also check out less notable ones as well, some of which are free or inexpensive to explore.

Say you do take the trip to Blarney to fulfill your tourist dreams and have a romantic moment with that good ole Blarney Stone – don’t forget to also visit the bordering Druid ruins, expansive gardens, and more, all of which are available with the same ticket.

Some more great castles and historical sites to see include the Ballycarbery castle, Dunluce castle, Skellig Islands, Ross Castle and the ancient ring forts. This whole country is filled with remnants of history – don’t miss out on checking it out for yourself.

So much more to experience

Last but not least, make sure to do more than walk around leisurely. Exploring is great, but there’s so much more to do than just view things from afar.

Hike along the Dingle Peninsula, Croagh Patrick, and more. Surf or sunbathe along Inch Beach, snorkel and swim in the opposite side of the Atlantic, explore ancient caves, take tours of the cities, visit museums. Tour buses like Irish Experience and Paddy Wagon include full day and/or weekend agendas for all types of activities. Though they are admittedly touristy, they can provide a means of transportation, guidance, and a group to travel with. All can be extremely helpful, especially for first-time travelers.

So, what are you waiting for? Now is as good a time as any to take a chance and journey abroad, and Ireland should be at the top of your list of places to go, especially now that you know about its hidden gems. Get ready and go for it – you’re just a flight away.

UMass Amherst ireland student students travel