Local band Where’s Walden? aims to fix Amherst music scene

‘A lot of people are very pretentious about their bands’

“The UMass Amherst and Amherst area music scene fucking sucks. You can quote me on that. A lot of it is really exclusive, so if you don’t know anyone, you aren’t going to get any shows,” says lead singer, guitarist, and writer Jack O’Brien.

They were the hot freshman band last year that changed the UMass music scene with their post-punk-shoegaze sound, motivation, and drive, and now they’re sophomores. Jack, Alex, Corey and Cody have come a long way since solidifying their lineup back in January. They’re ready, are you?

For starters, they’ve successfully booked the first show at the VFW in Amherst in about five years on September 23. “You can buy alcohol there – if you’re of age,” quips Alex Walsh, guitarist and backup vocalist.If all goes well, they hope that the VFW will become a frequent venue of the Amherst music scene once more.

After that, the band will be going on a mini-tour around the Northeastern US, hitting spots like Hartford, Philadelphia, and even New Jersey.

And as if that weren’t enough, they aim to release an album by December. Alex says, “I’d say that we have a pretty unique sound for the area of Amherst right now, there’s not a lot of bands that are playing post-punk, post-hardcore kind of music at the moment.”

“A lot of people are very pretentious about their bands,” says Jack. “They think that because they’ve been playing here for four years, for the same twenty people in a basement, they’re God’s gift to the earth.”

“I personally disagree [about the music scene],” Alex counters. “I think that there are a lot of things wrong with it, but it is getting better, and I think that’s part of the vibe; for better or for worse.” Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Personal opinions aside, it was due to this lack of inclusivity that the members of Where’s Walden? created Black Sheep Collective back in January with a few other friends. Their motto is ‘KEEP ART ALIVE,’ which they strive to do by putting on ‘secret shows’ around campus, publishing a monthly zine, and helping bands get booked. “If we like your band and your sound, we’ll book you. Even if we don’t, we’ll find you a show that is more fitting to your sound,” agree the band members.

Though Corey and Cody didn’t have much to say at the interview, Alex gave us some insight; “Corey is always there for you. He’s a great equalizer.”

Jack added, “Usually Walsh and I argue about something until we realize we’re on the same side while Cody is disagreeing silently and Corey is just out there doing his thing.”

The men of Where’s Walden? can usually be found around Central, or at Cody’s house in Amherst (he doesn’t even go here!). People have been known to scream out ‘WALDEN’ around campus as an ode to them, and if you ever run into Jack O’Brien when he’s drunk, he will ‘flyer the fuck out of you’ while delivering what he calls ‘The Walden Spiel’.

Where’s Walden is more than just a band. They’re musical pioneers, forging the way for a more inclusive music scene for future artists. Support this band in their music and vigilante efforts towards a more musical tomorrow on bandsintown, spotify, instagram, and/or Facebook. And go to their shows. Specifically that one on the 23rd at the VFW. It’s gonna be lit.

In the meantime, go listen to some of their sick tunes on bandcamp.

UMass Amherst