How to have the best Galentine’s Day ever

Aaaaaaaalll the single ladies

It’s officially February, so everyone’s preparing for the most love-filled holiday of the year: Galentine’s Day!

What’s Galentine’s Day, you ask?

It’s a day to celebrate the REAL loves of your life – your best lady friends. Whether you celebrate Galentine’s Day on the 13th, or on another day (if you’re one of the lucky ladies balancing a bae and besties), here are some ideas for what to do to make Galentine’s Day one of the best!

Bake Bake Bake!

Clearly the best part of any February 13th, whether spent with Galentine’s or Valentine’s, is the sweets, so take matters into your own hands and bake some yourself! I suggest using certified fierce female Taylor Swift’s chai tea cookie recipe for the perfect winter cookie, but you can also search around and find some of your own!

Bonus points if you make a playlist of Taylor Swift’s music and the music of her immense array of girl friends to listen to while baking. #squadgoals

Go to new heights with your girlfriends

If you and your lady friends are like me and only have a moderate sense of adventure and a moderate level of physical fitness, try rock climbing. It’s a good way to get active and moving while still having fun, and you and your girls be able to giggle your way through how awkward you look attempting to climb.

The Central Rock Gym in Hadley is open from 10am- 8pm on the 13th, and is only a 20 minute bus ride from campus!

I promise, it’s not as terrifying as my face might indicate.

Check out some sweet UMass entertainment

If you don’t feel like going off campus for some fun times with your gal pals, don’t fret. It’s no doubt UMass has some of the best performances in the area. Check out acapella groups like Sharp Attitude or Duly Noted, or comedy groups like Sketch 22 or Mission: Improvable. Check their Facebook pages for show times and places.

Binge to your heart’s desire

You can’t forget the most basic option – Netflix and chill, but for real. Gather your girls, some comfort food, some wine, some face masks, and binge on the best girl-power TV shows and movies your loving lady heart can find. One rule – keep it light. Comedies are key – no crying on Galentine’s Day (but even if you were to, you know your girlfriends will have tissues at the ready).

My suggestions for kick-ass girl power TV shows include Parks and Rec (to watch the founder of Galentine’s Day and actual queen Leslie Knope, obvi), Broad City, New Girl, Orange is the New Black, and Jane the Virgin.

As for movies, you might wanna check out Legally Blonde, Clueless, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, House Bunny, and Pitch Perfect. (And of course, any and all Disney Princess movies.)

Sophomore Michelle Oakland and my certified Galentine’s Day date suggests Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion and Practical Magic for some feel-good girly movies.

Aren’t we the cutest Galentine’s you’ve ever laid eyes on?

However you celebrate Galentine’s Day, make sure to keep the real spirit of the holiday in your heart – your lovely gal pals, and how lucky you are to have their female friendship in your life.

Happy Galentine’s Day!

UMass Amherst