Sabra hummus may be at risk on campus

Your favorite chick pea snack might have a lovely sticker on it the next time you pick it up

Hummus – the food your Jewish friend gushes about eating after going on Birthright. You’ve seen it at Blue Wall and in the DC’s, but did you know that a UMass Amherst professor wants to get rid of it completely?

Professor Aline Gubrium, an Associate Professor in the Community Health Studies here at UMass, despises your friend’s new favorite chick pea snack. Want to know why? Sabra Hummus’ owners, Strauss Group, donate money to a section of the Israeli Army.

Professor Gubrium wants to put stickers on hummus that will read: “This Product Supports Israel Apartheid Don’t Buy”. This is in the movement with BDS, which stands for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions all against the State of Israel.

Mohammad Hamad originally put these stickers on Sabra products in a CVS located in NYC.

Professor Gubrium commented saying that she would “love to get ahold of some,” to which Mohammad offered to send a handful her way.

Mohammad Hamad’s Stickering Job

So Professor Gubrium, go ahead and put those stickers on Sabra products all you want, but I’m still going to buy them no matter what.

UMass Amherst