Ballin’ on a budget: College student gift guide

Don’t go broke this Holiday Season

Next week is the last week of classes, finals are around the corner and next thing you know you’ll be returning home for the holidays in order to quickly figure out some ‘thank-you-for-dealing-with-my-shit gifts’ for Mom and Dad.

As college students, we’re used to living on a budget – cheap beer, house parties and extra meal swipes are the way to go.

Why stop there? Here are some tips for getting thrifty this season.

Pictures of you, pictures of me

Thanks dad, you’re the real MVP

Parents love #throwbackthursday just as much as the next person – take an old baby picture and put it next to your grown-up (kind of) adult self for them to add to their desk at work. It’ll be their favorite humble-brag at the office come January.

Chocolate, chocolate…and more chocolate

Come on, how cute are these things?

Unless you’re one of those poor souls who is allergic to chocolate, you’ll most likely be rewarding yourself after this semester with some sweet treats.

Whether you’re planning on buying a box of Godiva goodies or baking your own, Grandma will love some Christmas cake pops and Hershey kisses. Check out some great ideas for homemade desserts that other thrifty gift givers are making this season!

Movie tickets

You probably didn’t think of movie tickets as the cheapest gift for college students to give – however, you’d be surprised at how many movie theaters have student discounts. Planning on seeing the new Star Wars movie with Dad over winter break? Bingo.

Amazon FREE Two-Day Shipping for college students

Most students are aware of the Amazon Store in the Campus Center, but what you might not know is that if you add your school email on the site you’re able to get free two-day shipping on most items sold online. For those last-minute deals and steals, this is your lifesaver.

These are just a few thrifty gift ideas, but in the end it’s the thought that really counts.

UMass Amherst