Creature Comforts Brewery is so much better than the downtown bars

Creature is on the rise and Athens loves it

Central to the heart of downtown Athens, Creature Comforts has become a natural meeting place and hotspot for the inhabitants of the Classic City. You get to drink local beer, which will probably be better than your average gin and tonic, while supporting a local business.

Who doesn’t love supporting a local Athens staple? Founded in our very own Classic City, Creature Comforts Brewery has an unmistakable Snow Tire Co. sign on the side of the building, as it was originally a Chevy dealership in the 40s and later Snow Tire Co.

The reclaimed wood from the original historic warehouse can now be seen in the form of the brewery’s bar tops, tables, wall paneling and ceiling, which gives Creature Comforts its cozy and unique charm.

So why not support a local business while also relishing in the historic charm and comfort of a Tropicalia?

It’s a classy alternative to the downtown bar scene

Downtown Athens is known for providing numerous bars and nightlife to its college town atmosphere, but for those who want a change of pace and a bit classier scene than the bumping and grinding that goes on elsewhere downtown, Creature doesn’t disappoint.

At the brewery, the atmosphere doesn’t scream “party” as much as it does “hang-out.” Creature offers a much more low-key, yet still social, feel to the downtown Athens population. People are free to stand up and walk around to different groups of people, or kick back at the communal long wooden tables with other local-beer-lovers.

Not to mention, it adds a built-in excuse to start day-drinking for those who choose to loosen up a little early after a long, tiring week.

They let you bring your dog

In all honesty, dogs make everything better and I haven’t seen many canines in Bourbon Street or 9Ds Bar. At Creature Comforts, not only do you get to hang out with your friends and meet new people in a more conducive social environment, but you also get to play with the dogs that tag along.

UGA student Molly Orr, a brewery regular, said: “A lot of people will dress their dogs up in cute outfits and bring them along, which everyone really gets a kick out of.”

So if you haven’t gotten your fill of guide dogs on campus, there’s always a good human to dog ratio at the brewery as you enjoy a few cold beers.

Sometimes they even have snakes

Ever heard of Creatures at Creature? Every now and then, Creature Comforts hosts an event where the UGA Herpetology Society brings all sorts of turtles and snakes for the brewery-goers to hold and take pictures with. Often times, they even open this event up to 18+ opposed to its usual 21+ policy. So even if you’re not a dog person, you may be a snake person. Creature Comforts covers all its bases.

Again, have you ever seen a snake or turtle at Sandbar?

You can actually see the people you’re talking to

This means there’ll be no risk of, “oh, he was really cute in the dark after that third tequila shot.”

The brewery opens its doors to the thirsty public at 5pm Tuesday through Friday and 1pm on Saturday, which means plenty of daylight for people to mingle and catch up before things start getting hazy and the downtown bar scene comes alive. With well-lit surroundings and not-so-clouded judgment (unlike many downtown bars), you have a lower risk of falsely thinking that guy with the earring and dragon tattoo was “super cute.”

So while the six-ounce pours of Creature Comforts beers will definitely get you to a good starting point before a night out on the town, you won’t become “more than acquaintances” with the inside of your toilet bowl anytime soon. Unless you’re an unashamed lightweight…you know who you are.

University of Georgia