Why you should vote in this year’s SGA Elections

This is your opportunity to have your voice heard

From March 28th-30th, the polls have been open and UGA’s students have had the chance to vote in this year’s Student Government Association elections. There are multiple groups of well-qualified students running on different tickets, making this year’s election a hard choice.

Not everyone takes advantage of this opportunity, but this is why it’s so important to vote in this year’s election.

The candidates are excellent

I spoke with All In’s Director of Greek Outreach, Jake Shumard, on why he was so enthusiastic about his campaign.

“All In stands out to me for their support for mental health issues, improving campus traffic and focusing on other real issues that affect all of us here at UGA. They’ve also impressed me with their humility in service to the student body of the University of Georgia.”

There are important issues at stake

The most striking difference between the three campaigns was whether or not they supported the recent Campus Carry legislation. Dare and Commit signed onto an anti-campus carry letter that was sent to the Georgia State House, while All In did not.

Each campaign has multiple focuses that make them both unique and exciting

The Dare campaign wants to expand a program that helps students pay for books and create a professional clothes donation operation.

The Commit campaign plans on expanding the amount of study space available to students and increasing the amount of late-night transportation options around campus.

The All In campaign has focused on improving everyone’s dining hall experience. They want to work with UGA to offer more healthy food options and expand the dining hall’s hours of operation. It might be a pipe dream, but I think we’d all love 24-hour Bolton.

No matter what you’re passionate about here at UGA, it won’t be hard to find a campaign you can connect with. This is your chance to influence our campus and create the UGA you want to see. So support the ticket of your choice and go out and vote today.

No matter who you vote for, this year’s SGA elections are just another part of what makes UGA so great.

University of Georgia