If Athens bars had personalities

Flanagan’s is a rite of passage for all freshmen

There is no denying Athens has a vibrant bar scene. With that being said, we know every one of the 50 plus bars in Athens has a different character, attracting all different types of personalities.

Whether you are an overenthusiastic freshman, a hipster just trying to drink a PBR, or love a good jam band to go along with your whiskey-coke, there is guaranteed to be a bar to match your personality.

Flanagan’s: The freshman

Flanagan’s is the person who is really just excited to finally be out of mom and dad’s house. They are very proud of their new sorority or fraternity, and they’re just trying to consume as many Dirty Shirleys as possible.

They are ready to dance on tables, scream the words to the latest Taylor Swift song and hopefully get a free shot or two. In all seriousness, a wild night at Flanagan’s is a rite of passage for all freshman at UGA.

Jerzees: The clubber

Jerzees attendees don’t make much sense in the Athens scene. They don’t really belong here, but instead in the clubs of Miami or Las Vegas. They are perfectly fine with sweating through their shirts while simultaneously being drenched in the sweat of those surrounding them. Really, all they want to do is fist pump the night away.

Magnolias: The partier who still wants to impress Mom and Dad

Magnolias is the person who knows how to have a good time, but wants to remain professional while chugging their vodka water in the corner. They want to be able to bring their parents to the bar while proving to them that they’re on a professional path. Magnolias is also the person who likes to pretend they’re good at pool, but really has no clue what they’re doing.

Nowhere Bar: The dead head

Nowhere Bar is the person who enjoys hula-hooping while listening to Phish. They know how to have a good time in Athens while staying away from the Greek Life scene. Instead of listening to the latest Drake album while enjoying their beer, they prefer to listen to some local dad’s jam band play some tunes. Keep doing you, Nowhere Bar goers.

Church: The hipster

Church is the person who enjoys dancing and singing to the best 80s and contemporary tunes while being surrounded by their wide variety of gay and straight friends. They have no problem guzzling down as many Miller High Lifes as possible, while chain smoking their cigarettes. Church is the type of person who loves to dance and sing the night away, but prefers to do it in a bar covered in hilarious décor.

University of Georgia national-us