‘There are alternate responses to protesting. Ours is acceptance and love’

In response to Milo’s campus visit

Nothing speaks better to the events over the past several days than Michelle Obama’s iconic words: “When they go low, we go high.” On Monday, October 24, The University of Delaware’s Republican Club hosted Milo Yiannopoulos, an openly gay, yet outrageously bigoted, Brit.

When news of this spread throughout campus and onward, it was met with appall. Current students, faculty, and alumni alike were flabbergasted with the University. However, in spite of online petitions and emails to administration, UD gave him the okay to come.

The theme of the night was “Trannies Are Gay,” and was centered around the idea that transgender identifying individuals are mentally ill. Posters were put up around campus for his arrival, but were taken down soon after.

Facebook statuses were also posted before and after the event, as if the nonsense he spewed on campus was not already enough.

But again, like Michelle Obama preaches, we must go high. In response to the event, organizations from across campus decided to host a counter event, the Unity Fair, making sure to highlight all of the diversity and inclusivity this campus has to offer. Twenty seven RSOs came together for the Unity Fair, spanning from LGBTQ+ organizations, to the NAACP RSO, to Honors clubs.

As I made my rounds to all the booths, I wondered why everyone was here. And so I asked.

‘What does this counter event mean to you?’  

Lauren Reich, oSTEM 

“I think its a good place for people to feel accepted and have that secondary outlet. Having a peaceful event instead of a protest is the way to be the bigger person, rather than those who are actively spreading hate speech.”

Hope Moser, V-Day

“This is to show that I am against what the other event is standing for. To do this in a peaceful way is so important. We don’t want to interfere with what they’re doing. We just want it to be known that we don’t think it’s ok.”

Andrew Casper – HPB (Honors Planning Board) 

“There are alternate responses to protesting. Our way is acceptance and love. This is fun, it’s a great atmosphere.”

Naomi Major – SAGE

“This is not just a response– it’s more to focus on coming together as a university and cultivating a sense of togetherness. We don’t even want to focus on the event we’re countering.”

Nicole Mejia – HOLA

“The Unity Fair is about just that, unity. It all about the different groups that have come together for a common goal of love.”
Taylor Matthews, Haven
“It’s about coming together as a community to celebrate diversity. As simple as that.”
Anyone who was able to make it out that night felt as though they belonged. No matter your race, gender, sexuality, political beliefs, religion, or what have you, each person was embraced with open arms. Both literally and figuratively, as many of the students participated in swing dancing during the event.
University of Delaware