Learning to appreciate the little things is the best change I ever made

‘Your butt looks really toned in those pants’

It’s that point in the semester where everything is spiraling out of control. Midterms are here – can you believe the semester is already halfway over?! All your professors think their class is the only class that matters, so of course you have about nine exams this week even though you’re only taking five classes.

You’re sick. Sick with what? You wouldn’t know because health services claims they’re ‘all booked.’ Excuse me, you deserve to see a doctor. You’re basically paying their salary to answer that phone to tell you they’re ‘booked.’ So yeah, you’re sick for two weeks until you can finally see a doctor for them to only tell you that there’s nothing to be done but wait for this cold to ‘run its course.’

As college students, there are many other things on our minds as well. Being a student can be really stressful at times, so it’s important to sit back and remember to appreciate the little things. It’s also important to remember that C’s do get degrees- so chill out.

Take A Stroll To Class

Leave a minute or two earlier than you usually would so you’re not huffing and puffing for air by the time you get to your classroom. It’s not too hot or not too cold yet, so enjoy this comfortable weather.

Don’t forget to check out those vibrant leaves on the ground and take a deep breath and smell the crisp, autumn air.

People Watching

Wherever your study spot is- the library, a coffee shop or a student center, I suggest you look up from the laptop you’ve been staring at for the last six hours and give your eyes a rest. Mindless, simple, people watching is just what you need. It’s entertaining and is an easy way to break away from studying for a hot sec.

Your Coffee Barista

While you’re waiting around for your coffee or other delicious drink, make sure to thank the coffee barista. Really appreciate the flavor of whatever you’re drinking. Don’t chug it- savor it.

Mom and Dad texts

If your parents send you silly texts that you normally would disregard because you’re way too stressed, calm down. You have four seconds to answer the people that gave you life. Maybe it’s a funny video or an interesting article. Whatever it is, feel good that they’re thinking of you. Always appreciate mom and dad. Life advice right there.

“Your butt looks really toned in those pants”

Those random compliments that people give you – not your basic ‘omg, I love your shirt,’ but a really nice compliment that says something good about your character, such as “You’re such a loyal friend.” Or a compliment about your butt. Butt compliments are flattering too. OBVIOUSLY nothing inappropriate, BUT(T) (ha- get it?) tell a friend that their butt looks nice and toned. It’s low-key a huge self-esteem booster.

HOLD THE DOOR

You’re about to have a long day and you need to pack a lot of crap in your bag – all of your books and basically a mini-survival kit (food, water, extra pair of socks, etc.) because you don’t know the next time you will see your bed. As you’re approaching a building with a set of doors that aren’t automatic – honestly all doors should be automatic – sometimes you may struggle with opening the door. Other times, people right in front of you decide to be rude and not hold the door for a clearly struggling person! However, there are some people in this world
that acknowledge your struggle and hold the door for you. These are the best kind of people.

University of Delaware