Everything you know if you’re a twenty-something living in Northern Westchester

The riverfront is as close as you’ll get to a beach

If you’re from Northern Westchester, I bet you’ve done all of these fun things because, realistically, what else is there to do? However, if you haven’t explored some of these places, I suggest you venture off and check them out.

The Coffee House is the place to be

The Peekskill coffee house is the hipster coffee shop you’ve been searching for your whole life. Get a cappuccino and ~indulge~. Of course, you have to try the ‘Chiquita Yo Mama Ferrero’ crepe, or the ‘Nutella and banana’ crepe. While devouring your crepe, I urge you to look up and check out the best ceiling I have ever come across. Well, except the Sistine chapel. Nobody can beat Michelangelo. However, for a coffee shop, it’s pretty nice. It tends to go unnoticed, so here’s a shout out to that wonderful, gold ceiling – stay shiny!

Your next stop is the Peekskill riverfront. It’s a wonderful place to hang out with desired company. Sometimes there’s live music and it’s right along the Hudson river, so there’s always a nice breeze. Once the sun sets, you better make sure you have room in your camera roll because a promising Instagram picture is coming your way. That sunset will rack in those likes.

AND- there’s ice cream! Ice cream and sunsets go together like peanut butter and jelly.

It’s always movie time

Plus it’s a drive-in movie theater – need I say more? Pop that trunk and cuddle up to one another with that warm fuzzy blanket while snacking on some buttery popcorn. It’s a great time, but bring bug spray! If you’re anything like me, the bugs cannot resist you. You’ll thank me for this later.

Hiking is a must

It’s time to climb up Anthony’s nose. Make sure your sneaker bottoms are gripped well so you don’t tumble down! Once you get to the top, it’s a great view. There’s an American flag up there so you can even be patriotic in those ‘candid’ pictures you’re taking. I recommend bringing some deli sandwiches as a reward for making it to the top.

There really should be a food truck up there by now. It hasn’t happened yet, but a girl can dream.

You better get your wallet ready

I’m sure you’re tired of all these trees and mountains, so take a trip to Woodbury Commons! It may be just as touristy as Times Square, but if you love to shop, this is the place to be. Countless designers… store after store… it’s… heaven! Seriously, you can get awesome deals here. You may have to wait on that Tory Burch line, but it’s worth it! Tory knows how to design a damn good looking handbag.

Did I say hiking already?

You’re probably fed up with all the crowds you had to deal with yesterday shopping, so here’s another hike to explore – Mt. Beacon. Now this is a challenging mountain. Pack two ice cold water bottles because you will NEED them. Good luck and stay hydrated!

But come on, that view can’t be beat.

Natural springs are simply the best

After that painful, but amazing workout hiking Mt. Beacon, you might as well hit the Indian Brook waterfall in the town of Cold Spring to take a dip and cool off. This water is 100 % natural.

Peekskill has the best nightlife around

Peekskill is an adorable little town with a lively nightlife! The paramount theater is constantly having concerts and plays! Before you head off to your evening entertainment, there are dozens of restaurants to choose from. Enjoy some tacos and margaritas at Ruben’s cafe, or bangers and mash at The Quiet Man. Get cultured and head on over!

So, there you have it. Us college kids from Northern Westchester really get crazy when we’re home. Food, movies and scenic views are what we live for.

University of Delaware