Delaware’s secret: It’s the most beautiful place to live

From Wilmington to Fenwick Island, this little state is full of big surprises

According to legend, Thomas Jefferson addressed  Delaware as a “jewel” among states due to its strategic and invaluable coastal location.  This hallmark rings true today and many people simply aren’t aware of the big surprises such a little state holds.

Rehobeth Beach is a popular spring break or summer destination but few out of state students know this shopping district is not the end of Delaware’s sandy surprises. Dewey Beach is just a few miles south along Rt 1 and is the ultimate bar-hopping hub while Bethany Beach continues farther south and is a quaint family beach town.

Not only are these confidential coastal pleasures a fantastic destination themselves, they are also the perfect place to begin any adventure. Students who visit these beaches know that it takes a measly two hours to travel the entire state of Delaware – lengthwise – and from the southern shores, other major cities are just as easily accessible.

If you can’t find your fill of sun in Lower Slower, Virginia Beach is a solid three hours farther south. Want to spend a day exploring countless historical attractions and museums for every interest? Head over the Chesapeake Bay and visit our nation’s capitol. Philadelphia is just above our good ‘ole Newark, and even Baltimore won’t take more time than any of the other journey’s ends.  These destinations make phenomenal locations for museum tours, attending concerts, or casual weekend/day trips and there is pretty much something to satisfy everyone.

At the end of the day, however, all roads lead to Delaware. This focal point and catch-all cluster of small towns and few cities makes for a nice escape from busy urban life, yet still has that real estate luxury of “location, location, location”. Next time you curse yourself for choosing school in a state that virtually shuts down at 5:00, remember that you have the world at your fingertips in just about every direction and opportunity is what you make of it.

University of Delaware