Need a job after graduation? Hawaii has the answer

They’ll welcome you with open arms

As graduation slowly sneaks up on our seniors who are about to enter the real world, many are preparing for their post-grad plans: Internships, grad school, traveling… Whatever it may be, the adventurous student might want to reconsider.

Even if you’re still searching, look no more — the Hawaii Department of Education is on the hunt for new teachers to fill their understaffed schools. With 1,600 expected vacancies for this upcoming school year, they are looking for those capable to teach special education, secondary mathematics, and secondary science. Anyone is able to apply and the average pay for a Hawaiian teacher is $54,000 a year, which is a solid start for a recent graduate.

Most teachers who are recruited from the mainland don’t stay in Hawaii to continue teaching, but why not give it a shot? The Hawaii Department of Education is meeting with prospective applicants right here on the east coast in both New York and Newark, NJ.

For those with a knack for a less than run-of-the-mill lifestyle, this venture might be perfect for you. If you’re even willing to work in a more rural areas, such as Oahu’s Leeward Coast, you could make an added bonus.

If you’re adventurous and willing to live in a rural, tropical place you might want to reconsider your current post-grad plans, pack your bags, and jet off to the big island. Not only would it be a complete change of scenery, but also a change of lifestyle.

As much as I love The Green here in Newark, new surroundings in the tropical state of Hawaii sounds like a dream come true. Seniors, what are you waiting for? Ace your finals, book your flight, and head on out to the Big Island.

Ko Olina Beach

To help with your transition, check out this list of Hawaiian words every resident should know. Here are some that would be most useful for a newly-graduated Blue Hen:

akamai — smart, clever, wise, witty, skilled.

kai — ocean.

‘ono — delicious.

pakalolo — marijuana.

kalani — heaven.

Mahalo and pomaika’i good luck, cousin!

University of Delaware