STD rates are ridiculously high in Santa Barbara

Wrap it up

Its all too known that college students uphold a grimy reputation for having unsafe sex, and as a result, a high rate of sexually transmitted diseases. That's probably why Santa Barbara County, home of UCSB and SBCC, has seen a peak in the number of STDs.

A new report from the Center for Disease Control revealed that California has the highest rate of STD cases. Guess Cali really, really, hates using condoms.

According to county data, males and females are now equally susceptible to contracting gonorrhea. As for chlamydia and syphilis, the chance of contracting the infections varies between genders.

Research shows that it's far more likely for a female to contract chlamydia than a male. In fact, a whooping 70 percent of chlamydia cases in Santa Barbara are reported by females. As for males, they are far more likely to contract syphilis across their demographics.

In light of this ghastly news, students are encouraged to get tested at their local clinics. Many local health centers give STD checks for little or no cost, including the Student Health Center, IV Clinic and Planned Parenthood.

But at the end of the day…use a frickin condom!

UC Santa Barbara