UCSB is officially one of the best public schools in America

Is anyone surprised?

In a huge boost for Gaucho’s egos and the UCSB press team, The U.S News and World Report has placed UCSB eighth in its 2017 “Top Public Schools National University” ranking.

Although UC Berkeley and UC Los Angeles were ranked number one and two respectively, UCSB came ahead of other California colleges UC Davis, Irvine, San Diego and Santa Cruz (which were in the top 30). This is the third year in a row that UCSB has been ranked as a top ten public college.

In case you were wondering, Cal Poly was not placed in the rankings because of its status as a “Regional University”.

Chancellor Yang, seeing the opportunity for some good PR, released a statement declaring that: “Our greatness… is the sum of the combined commitment of our students, faculty and staff to academic excellence, diversity, access and affordability”.

He wasn’t wrong. The rankings were compiled mostly using statistics on “graduation and retention rates”, “undergraduate academic reputation”, “faculty resources” and “student selectivity” which means we can pat ourselves on the back for being so clever and not dropping out.

The top ten public schools in America

1. UC – Berkeley
  2. UCLA
  3. UVA
  4. Michigan
  5. UNC
  6. William and Mary
  7. Georgia Tech
  8. UCSB
  9. UC – Irvine
  10. UC – San Diego

Coincidently (or perhaps not), UCSB was also rated the eighth happiest school in America. This latest academic ranking definitively proves that it’s possible to live next to beaches, beautiful scenery and do well at college.

In short, Gauchos have won again.

UC Santa Barbara