The ultimate guide to 4/20 in IV

It’s like Christmas in April

If you don’t know why today is a national holiday, this article probably isn’t for you. (Unless you are looking to broaden your horizons, in which case…hell yeah).

If you do know why today is a national holiday, I applaud you – and I’m sure your continued reading of this article is a sign of your interest in another person’s perspective regarding this magnificent day.

4/20 (for you non-marijuana smoking folk) is the yearly tradition embraced by millions to celebrate the mystifying properties of natural cannabis.

The holiday found it’s beginnings about six hours north of Santa Barbara at San Rafael High School. After learning about a lost cannabis plant, a group of friends who called themselves “the Waldos” decided to meet by an on-campus statue to search for the abandoned gold mine.

An opportunity for free bud – how could they not at least try? With treasure map in hand, they decided to head out.

Their preferred meeting time to begin this search?

You guessed it – 4:20 p.m.

In honor of this wonderful origin story, and in honor of the wonderful weed community – here is a suggested outline for your 4/20 experience here on the beach.

Know your market

If there’s one thing you don’t want on 4/20 – it’s getting your wallet cleared due to a bad business decision or because you had a lack of consumer knowledge. The above chart  is a general outline for your socially accepted “standard” in the business but fluctuates depending on the specific club or clinic.

Embrace tradition

*rolled with beach sand

Yes, that means papers.

In celebrating the tradition of 4/20, it’s vital to celebrate the origins of cannabis itself.

In the beginning, crutches and rolling papers were the preferred method, and the only method. Today, however, tons of alternatives exist to the classic consumption method (vapes, rigs, glass, etc.) Despite the excess of other options – make some time for rolling.

4/20 is all about tradition – and what’s more traditional than a classy J?

Find some friends and embrace the stoner circle (the roto)

One of the best parts about 4/20 is the aspect of community.

On a holiday like today, make sure to maintain the “chill” mentality and enjoy a community sesh. You’d be fairly surprised at some of the conversations you can have if you force yourself to be social.

Find a nice piece of glass

@wizkhalifa

Let’s be honest – in our beach town, glass is probably the preferred method of cannabis consumption. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small six inch straight shot, or an eighteen inch beaker with a cow on it (thank you Illadelph) – glass can be a nice change of pace when a J isn’t in roto. (*roto = rotation)

Hit the beach

4/20

With red eyes and a similarly “tired” group of friends, find the motivation get off your couch and walk to the water. Santa Barbara views remind us all of how fortunate we are to be here, and if you celebrated 4/20 at all – they remind you of how big the world really is.

Let the highdeas begin.

Do something creative

weavesilk.com

If you enjoy painting, paint. If you like rapping, rap. If you like writing, write.

The point is, use your newfound “expert creativity” to generate new substance and new ideas. Find a creative way to use your time and experiment with your favorite hobbies. It’s always interesting to see what ideas your mind generates after a confrontation with Mary Jane, plus – she may even make you a little bit better at those things.

Then again, maybe not.

Listen to music

One of the best things you can do for yourself on 4/20 is to force yourself to listen to music.

Lay in bed, throw your iPhone on the aux, and listen to anything you want. I’d be astounded if you didn’t take away a larger appreciation for music and the work musicians do afterwards.

Get your snack on 

not the worst decision you’ll ever make.

Let’s be honest, this is probably the most essential part of your 4/20 experience.

If you’re not snacking on peach rings, enjoying a meal in IV, or sipping on a Blenders – then you’re doing it wrong. Seeing as it only comes once a year, make sure to take the opportunity and enjoy your fair share of food today.

You have to reward yourself sometimes, right?

Watch View From a Blue Moon by John Florence

I can’t reemphasize this enough – watch this movie.

Whether you are a fan of surfing or not, this is one of the most aesthetically appealing films I have ever seen. Shot entirely with 4K video around the world John John’s newest film takes film-making to a new level.

Huge waves, world-class filming, and a great soundtrack – the perfect recipe for the end of your 4/20 in Santa Barbara. See the preview below:

Obviously, everyone’s 4/20 experience is going to be a little bit different.

Despite these differences, there are clear similarities regarding the general pattern of celebration on this wonderful holiday – food, friends, and Fire OG. (Not necessarily in that order)

Celebrate, socialize, and embrace today’s holiday centered around one of nature’s most radical herbs.

After all, it’s only 4/20 once a year – right?

UC Santa Barbara