I talk to my parents everyday but I’m still independent

No, for real

Before I got to college, I can vividly remember everyone around me, from friends to family members, telling me that half of the “college experience” was what happened outside of the classroom. More than midway through my freshman year, I would say it’s been pretty eventful.

Sometimes, it’s good to talk to the folks at home. Who else is better to prank call at 6pm midweek to tell about your recent expulsion for growing a multitude of medicinal plants in your dorm room?

As a colleague of mine recalls from a recent drunk call to his parents:

“They start the conversation. Then it all goes downhill from there. There’s music in the background, you’re taking shots, you’re simultaneously talking to girls, all while they’re asking you how your night is going. It’s a recipe for disaster.”

As for me, our conversations are more or less day-to-day, usually about boring stuff like the value of education and the importance of doing homework and what not. I can’t imagine why they would ever want to talk about that stuff. But hey, they are the ‘rents after all.

Oh, my bad if I made it sound like I do no work – the truth is quite the opposite, really. All work, no play. But enough about that.

I talk to my parents everyday (more or less), and I have the call log to prove it. Communication is a major key.

No shame whatsoever

But you know what? I’m still pretty independent. I make all of the important decisions, including, but not limited to: 

Cleaning my room:

No, I don’t play

Doing laundry:

Another few days can’t possibly hurt anyone, right?

Studying:

Natural element

Keeping an engaging social life:

I’m often asked how I manage to keep such a busy schedule and still enjoy the excitement of college. It’s all about time management and priorities, my friends. 

Disclaimer : not all of these things happen on the reg. Or do they? 

@kevxzzz

University of Connecticut