Asian stereotypes addressed at UConn

These students are fed up with the ‘but you’re good at math!’ jokes

A poster can be found displaying the stereotypes and prejudices experienced as an Asian in the Asian American Cultural Center (AsACC) on the fourth floor of the Student Union. (Photo by Ylenia Elvy-Panton)

A poster can be found displaying the stereotypes and prejudices experienced as an Asian American in the Asian American Cultural Center (AsACC) on the fourth floor of the Student Union

In case you missed it, Chris Rock recycled popular Asian stereotypes as part of his comedic hosting for the Oscars. People on social media, including celebrities, reacted with a mixture of shame on you’s and plain old annoyance. These students voiced their opinions on the severity of stereotypes and just how harmful they are not only to themselves as individuals, but also to their community.

Sean Lee, Senior, Molecular Biology and Chinese

“There’s this notion that Asian Americans need to become white in order to make it in America. [It] really ticks me off.”

Sean said that there’s this idea to fit into American cultures by distancing themselves from their heritage. This, in combination with jokes like Rock’s on Sunday night, perpetuates stereotypes more.

“People are hiding half of themselves.”

Tim Yang, Freshman, Accounting

“I almost roll my eyes when people don’t know the difference between North and South Korea, or when they just assume everyone is Chinese.”

Another common assumption is that Asians are good at math and other similar subjects, which leads to unrealistic expectations, he said. Educating others, Tim said, is a good way to combat stereotypes. Discrimination can only be fought if we enhance people’s views of the world, Yang said.

Rhea Johnson, Senior, Biological Sciences

“I can think of countless times where in school people would ask me if I’d get an arranged marriage.”

Other questions she’d hear would include the subject of hair and even hijabs. What bothers Rhea more, she said, is the portrayal of Indian culture on television shows. There’d be silly stereotypes she said, pointing out an episode of “Fuller House” where Indian culture was depicted by “Bollywood and decorated cows.”

Kevin Song, Junior, Chemistry

“People assumed that I should be naturally smart.”

In high school, Kevin said that he received poor grades and was called the “Stupid Asian” by his white friends. They would even joke and call him a “disgrace” to the family. Once he began to study more, he realized the extra effort it took for him to finish his work in comparison to other students. Being smart comes from discipline and determination, not race, Kevin said.

Donna Le, Junior, ACES

“They don’t see that we work just as hard as any one else to get good grades.”

Although the “being good at math” stereotype isn’t necessarily negative, Donna said, it gets bothersome. Whenever she would tell someone she received a good grade on an assignment, she said people would say, “oh, that’s just because you’re Asian.”

Rubayet Lasker, Junior, Political Science

“The most frustrating thing to me is when people assume I’m from India.”

Rubayet refers to herself as brown and that makes others feel uncomfortable. She said that her race and cultural identity should not be mixed.

Do you have any stories about stereotypes related to your race or culture that you’d like to share? Write about your experience for The Tab.

University of Connecticut