Five ways to stress less at UConn

Apparently ‘midterms’ is a very loose term

As you might expect, one of the most common mental health problems on college campuses is anxiety disorders. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA): “forty million U.S. adults suffer from an anxiety disorder, and 75 percent of them experience their first episode of anxiety by age 22.”

It is not a coincidence that 22 happens to be about the age when most students are finishing their college degree. Other than being a genetic disorder, anxiety can come about when a person has been exposed to high levels of stress for long periods of time. So here are a few tips on how to reduce your stress and avoid those episodes of anxiety.

Advice Nurse

Located at 234 Glenbrook Road

Primary medical care, a women’s clinic, nutrition services, counseling and mental health services, and physical therapy are only a few of the amenities offered through Student Health Services on the Storrs campus.

However, due to Malloy’s new budget plan for higher education, and the fact that the Health Services department does not accept all insurance plans, being able to take advantage of these amenities can become expensive for the average college student. Also, need I remind you, like most college students I’m sure you took the time at the beginning of fall semester to fill out the insurance waiver in order to save yourself a few thousand dollars on your fee bill.

Unfortunately, this now leads to higher costs when using the Health Services. Yet there is a way to get around those costs if you are only looking to get a quick diagnosis. The “Advice Nurse” is available over the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (during the regular academic year).

This means that while you are lying in bed trying not to puke at 3 am, you can comfortably make a quick phone call from your dorm to see if you have the flu or if that sushi you ate lead to food poisoning. You can contact the nurse from this number here: 860-486-4700, or find more information on the Student Health Services website.

Student recreation facility

Located at 2111 Hillside Road (Across from the Student Union)

According to researchers at the University of Vermont, “the mood benefits of just 20 minutes of exercise can last 12 hours.” When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain  to reduce your perception of pain and trigger positive feelings. This can lead to a better mood (happiness) and productivity!

The Student Recreational Facility offers an indoor gym, outdoor amenities (such as tennis courts), and BodyWise (which consists of weekly classes from Pilates to Zumba). If you are a full-time student you are able to receive a free membership with your ID, so there are no excuses!

Download a time management app

App: inClass

We have found ourselves stuck in a digital age, from laptops to tablets to smartphones, it is impossible to go a day without these products. Therefore, UConn is here to help you put those electronics to good use. When you visit the Center for Students with Disabilities website, you can find a list of twelve apps (that are free to download) that can help you to create task lists, take notes in class, or make a digital weekly planner. All of these apps are designed to be used in a scholastic setting, but can easily be adapted for use outside of the academic semester.

Spend time outside

Although Uconn is located in northern New England, it is still possible to find activities to do outside all year round! In the winter you can find a multitude of students sledding down Horsebarn hill. If you don’t have a sled, find yourself a piece of thick cardboard or the plastic top to a storage container.

As the weather gets nicer you can find hiking/walking trails near by, such as Shelter Falls Park. In late spring, summer, and early fall you can splurge a little and go zip-lining at The Adventure Park at Storrs. There is no need to make a reservation, and a two hour climb is under $40.

Visit the Health Education office

Ground Floor of Wilson Hall in South Campus room 125

This may be one of the best items on the list. The Health Education Office is open Monday through Friday and offers free services to students. It provides stress management resources such as the relaxation station, free “Relax Packs,” pet therapy, and a knitting group.

This is the perfect place to stop by after a long day or if you find that you have a break between classes. Their therapy dogs also make an appearance during midterms and finals outside of Homer Babbidge library and across from the Rowe Center.

Good luck with the rest of your semester and don’t forget to get enough sleep and eat well!

University of Connecticut