UCLA students don’t care about the ‘Netflix tax’

Probably because we don’t pay for our own subscriptions

California cities may soon be subject to a tax affecting online streaming aficionados. For UCLA students, it could be sooner rather than later.

According to an L.A Times, “Pasadena city officials are mulling whether to tax subscribers of Netflix, Hulu and other video streaming using an existing municipal utility tax code that initially was designed for taxing cable-television users.”

The dubbed “Netflix Tax” has already gone into affect in other cities in the nation and it’s only a matter a time before pricing goes up for Netflix AGAIN. Sometimes it just feels good to get back to your room after class, kick of those shoes, fire up Netflix, and just chill. Well, doing that may just get a little more pricey.

We went out and asked some students to weigh in on the topic and this is what we got.

A couple of students were all for the taxes! Maybe because for altruistic reasons?

Parth Dhamelia, Economics, 19 said: “A tax is a good idea because it wouldn’t cost individuals that much and it would raise money in large amounts. If some people decide to quit Netflix, then they can do something else more productive.”

Jeffrank Solorzano, Biology, 20 said: “It just depends on what the city is going to use the taxes for. If it’s a small amount of money that taxes are taking from people then its not a big deal.”

Another student was outright not for it. . .

Danny Medina, Political Science, 19 said this: “It’s not a good idea. I already pay fees as it is. Why should I have to pay more? I get to watch what I want, where I want, and not have to sit through commercials. Why do I have to pay more just because they aren’t getting enough taxes from cable.”

And the majority knew that there are always ways to get around things. . .

Sarandeep Sidhu, Business Economics, 21 said: “I don’t have Netflix, but I feel like it doesn’t really matter because people share accounts anyways.”

Kanaiya Mungra, Business Economics, 19 said: “It almost makes me feel like the government is trying to take too much from me, and that I should be compensated by a monthly taco Tuesday or something, but realistically it doesn’t affect me. My roommate pays for our Netflix.”

Zohra Pervez, Anthropology and Biological Sciences, 28 said: “I honestly don’t care cause I’ve never paid for Netflix in my life. But I do think it’s bullshit that we’re taxing this because it’s unnecessary. People have BEEN ditching cable companies because they are so expensive.”

Chloe Thomas, Sociology, 19 said : “I think it makes sense (historically) that when new technology is developed, and is successful, that taxation would change to match the new market. But yea, that doesn’t really affect me because my parents pay for Netflix.”

Regardless of what the cities decide to do, it seems like UCLA students will manage to get through the decision, and still be able to enjoy their favorite shows.

UCLA