The keys to having a balanced life at UCLA

Major keys, that is

There’s something harmonious and pure about living in LA and attending the best school in the city (sorry, USC). When you live on campus within a bustling city, there are endless opportunities in both places to construct the ideal college experience — which is to achieve a perfectly balanced lifestyle.

Coming all the way from Hong Kong, it was surprisingly easy to settle into life at UCLA. In fact, it took no more than a few days. Ever since, I have been striving to achieve the ultimate life balance during my time here.

So here are the keys to success (s/o to @djkhaled) — inspired by some of my favourite icons.

‘I don’t get lucky. I make my own luck.’ – Harvey Specter, Suits

University is about making your own experience (as is life in general, by the way). Don’t expect anything to arrive at your feet, because if you do, it won’t happen. Get out there and present yourself. Make yourself known. Take the initiative when making friends, create your own connections and create your own support network.

‘Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.’ – Leonardo Da Vinci

With endless opportunities to explore in a new, ridiculously large university, attempting to do everything will probably be tempting. The last thing any freshman wants to be is stressed. As a first year, you’re as free as a bird. Learn to say ‘no’ to requests, know when you’re being used, and be sure that you fully commit to the responsibilities you’re considering. Just chill, seriously. No stress? No problem.

‘Work hard. Play hard.’ – Wiz Khalifa (also everyone ever)

You know how it goes.

‘I don’t have dreams; I have goals.’ — Harvey Specter, Suits (again)

Dreams are dreams. They occupy your mind and are imaginary, while goals take over your reality. Devote some time to set realistic goals, and try to reflect on them every morning. Once you achieve a goal, move onto the next one. You have four of the best years of your life ahead of you, don’t waste them on farfetched dreams, because they don’t yield results. Goals do.

‘The key to more success is a clean heart and a clean face.’ — The man himself, DJ Khaled

I assure you that nothing else will give you more personal satisfaction than sweating your ass off at the gym or on the track. If I had to estimate, I would say more than half of a typical LA lifestyle is composed of health and fitness. The mental and physical benefits of keeping lean and clean are endless. Don’t you want MORE success?

‘One can’t predict the weather more than a few days in advance.’ – Stephen Hawking

Except in LA, you can. Live it up because you’ve been blessed with the best weather in the world. Don’t be a homebody — go to the beaches, hike the Hollywood sign, have chic brunches — and immerse yourself in a new culture. The four years will fly by. #blessup

UCLA