Huge protest happening on UCSC campus after Trump wins

Slugs are not taking the news well: ‘I no longer trust my country’

Did that really just happen?

It doesn’t seem like anybody at UCSC can believe the results of the election. Slugs are in a state of unrest.

All over campus, students are marching around chanting, “Fuck Donald Trump!” Anti-Trump graffiti is appearing around campus, and YG’s “FDT (Fuck Donald Trump)” can be heard playing all over campus. RAs are sending out emails asking residents to be careful and try to avoid crowds tonight. Police have been called to deal with marching students. 

Here’s a handful of reactions from UCSC students just hours after finding out what direction this country’s going to be headed in for the next four years.  

RA Anne, 19, Biology (in an email to residents) 

“Today has been a very stressful day, I’m sure. There have been a lot of crowds tonight and I would encourage that you all avoid them for your safety. I would like to remind you all that I am here if you would like to talk about what is happening and how you are feeling as this election as a whole has elicited a range of emotions within ourselves and our communities.”

Jedd Martinez, 21, Politics

“Biggest setback in American history by far.”

Krystal Fernandez, 19, Undeclared 

“I’m so disappointed in my country. I’m terrified now of a place I used to be proud of. I’m scared to the point that I’m going to be carrying around my pepper spray and taser at all times – I no longer trust my country.”

Bryan Erick Ambriz, 21, Computer Science

Well, if I am being honest, I have been planning to leave the USA for a while now. With Trump, and a majority of republicans in the house and senate, nothing good will ever come, for it is not trump so much as the people who voted for him who will cause the most damage. I am disappointed and not surprised to see the true colors of the USA, but I am also scared for how his supporters will react, and I am scared that my family might suffer.”

PauloJiniro O’Claudio, 19, Electrical Engineering 

“Americans refuse to be lead by a women regardless of her experience and knowledge in politics. I feel like just like Obama broke barriers in being the first black president, it’s not the right time for Hillary to be the first Female president. It’s this idea of pride and masculinity in which our country is grasping onto which can be a factor in Hilary’s coming short in the election.”

Melissa Arzate, 19, Legal Studies

“It’s just sad to see that a country with opportunity “for all” just showed that’s not the case at all.Its sickening to see how many great individuals are fearful for their life because of who they love, their religion, their skin color, and their gender. We can say fuck Donald trump but he has helped us see the true colors of people by running for president.”

Deion Goodrich, 21, Literature 

“Well all my non colored friends, it’d be nice if y’all visit me in the cotton fields with a glass of lemonade or something every now and then. It was good while it lasted #FuckedbyTrump

Sydni Trier, 21, Economics 

“Someone asked me, ‘I’d like to know why you guys are against Trump, besides bringing up that he’s racist, he’s sexist, he’s a rapist, he makes fun of disabled people.’ I told them, ‘You answered my question’”

Emily Aminian, 19, MCD Biology 

“I personally will never understand why differences matter so much. Why do people like Donald Trump preach hate towards gender, religion, race and ethnicity. I see things from a very scientific, biological prospective. Everyone has a brain, everyone has cells. All of our cells replicate every day to produce our bodies. And yet, we hate each other for it. Donald Trump and his supporters preach extreme hate. And for some reason they hate their own linage. We are all immigrants, unless you are 100% native Americans. They hate their own gender, their own economic class. We elected someone who was endorsed by the KKK and whose majority vote were casted by people who do not hold a bachelors degree. Personally, I’m confused.”

Alex Tutwiler, 18, Planetary Science and Biology 

“I’m personally fine with differing opinions – I actually think they’re great! They make for a more diverse community and nation as a whole, and can inspire a multitude of different conversations and collaborations. Yet when one’s opinion disrespects and even discourages another’s existence, it evolves from an ‘opinion’ to a literal hate act against another human being. Donald Trump perfectly embodies this concept of disguising hatred and racism as an ‘opinion’, with his followers using the First Amendment to defend him and even follow in his footsteps. Being President of the United States calls for someone who can work with differing opinions, hear people out, and collaborate with others to create the best possible nation for everyone living here, and I believe that a man whose main selling point is to build a wall to keep out people searching for the best possible life they can lead is not fit for that job.”

Bridget Collver, 19, Politics and History

“I was supposed to be crying tears of joy over electing the first female president. Instead, I’m crying tears of anger, sadness and fear.”

Cely Biag, 18, Sociology and Psychology 

“I’m really shocked that America was able to get Trump this far.”

Julia Amaral, 18

“I’ve spent my whole life believing in the good in the world and in people. Tonight, I think that I have finally broken in this belief. As a woman, knowing that a man who degrades and sexually assaults women can become my president is devastating. I am heartbroken, not only for myself and but for future generations of women.”
UC Santa Cruz