We spoke to the people behind the wall on ring road

I won’t pretend to know enough about the Middle East

UCI is sometimes regarded as “The little Middle East” with it being a hotbed for discussions and conversations concerning the Middle East. If you don’t believe me, check out this 2010 protest against an Israeli ambassador here . As anteaters walk on ring road this week, they may notice something unusual –  a giant wall.

The wall is put on by the Muslim Student Union, Jewish Force for Peace, Students for Justice in Palestine and the American Indian Student Association.

The students behind the wall consider it a protest against modern day colonialism present in Palestine and America.

Celine S. agreed to be interviewed today. According to Celine, UC Irvine was built on Native American territory and 86 sacred sites and grave sites. The American Indian Association is working with the other mentioned groups to create a conversation about colonialism at home and abroad in Palestine.

But why the wall?

According to Celia: “Israel has been building a wall throughout Palestinian land that is over 70% completed. It’s huge and it restricts mobility.”

“We are trying to have a presence where people walking might be able to feel a similar intimidating presence.”

Celine has lived in Palestine for several years as a child and her entire family is from Palestine. This cause is personal to her. Celine said, “when you live in a segregated area, completely segregated, and your mobility is very restricted as a child…those memories still make me very angry”.

UC Irvine