Everything my Chinese parents taught me about life

It’s hard being an ABC

There are a lot of stereotypes that come with being an ABC—American Born Chinese. Some include being a genius at all things math or having strict and demanding parents.

I have been classified as the “yellow kid” or “one of those nerds.” Even with all the negativity, I am proud to have Chinese immigrant parents. They taught me some of life’s most significant values, and I will forever be grateful.

Hard work

My parents came to the United States not knowing a single word of English. They started from the bottom—bussing tables— and worked their way up—becoming CEOs. Overnight success, in my parent’s case, is a thirty year journey. The time I spend in professor office hours and studying late past midnight is the hard work I put into achieving my A or B.

Family is key

The loud and boisterous family gatherings are times when I am most embarrassed and proud of the people closest to me. My dad talks so loud that you think he is talking through a megaphone at all times. As much as I feel stressed about these situations, I know that my family will always support me no matter what. My mom will call me out if I act poorly and offer me the best advice on life decisions. I wouldn’t want to trade my family for anything.

Hygiene 

Growing up my mom constantly badgered me to wash my hands, brush my teeth, and floss daily. These were some of the measures she taught me to combat germs, dirt, and cavities, along with removing shoes at the door. I didn’t understand why she forced me to do them, but now I have those good habits. Cleanliness is an important tradition to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Knowledge is power

Because my parents didn’t receive a proper education and focused more on working growing up, they have instilled the importance of learning in me. I am not afraid to admit that I am not the smartest in my class. I blamed my parents for my lack of intelligence, but they made up for it by signing me up for extra tutoring and spending time with me while I completed my work. Learning is a gift that anyone can have, and my parents taught me that I can do whatever I want as long as I have the knowledge and resources to do so.

How to be happy

The typical asian parents have a set life plan for their kids—graduating from a renown college,  finding a stable and prosperous job as a doctor, lawyer, or accountant, marrying another asian significant other with the same life goals, and settling down with two children. I am only just starting to complete number one of the list, but definitely won’t be fulfilling their ideal professions. Nonetheless, the whole point of the list is to provide a greater and better life than my parents had. In the end, they want the best for me and want me to be happy. I can’t complain about that.

Gratitude

Traveling the world, shopping the latest fashion trends, and feasting on divine cuisine are all things that I desire, but they all come with hefty price tags. Everything my parents do is for me and my brothers, and I have learned that saying two simple words have the greatest impact. My parents are always so welcome when I say, “Thank you,” and give them a big hug of appreciation. The smiles on their faces makes my heart melt with gratitude.

UC Irvine