The misconceptions of being an English major

You have no idea what you’re talking about

Whether it’s jokes about how I’ll be jobless or telling me it’s a “soft” subject, you have no idea what you’re talking about when you underestimate an English major.

Out of all the things people assume about English majors, usually the only true one is that we have to read millions of books. A new quarter has started and I received a box filled with novels, anthologies, and poetry, and with that I also remembered how quickly people are to assume things about how English majors students are. 

In a school that primarily focuses on science, engineering, and medicine, “soft” subjects like English and the arts can be easily dismissed. Upon talking about this with my mother, she asked me what “soft” even entailed. That is when I considered the question seriously, and really, I believe English is considered soft because there is no one “right” answer like in math.

The fact that there are less limitations and parameters in terms of thinking about and answering questions that have to do with English makes it harder. In the same way that it is harder to choose between ten things compared to two, English allows you to go in a series of different directions to find a “right” answer. This not only entails analytical power and creativity, but also discipline, because not having limits can make things much harder (like when teachers want you to make up your own prompt). 

When I think about daily routines, English is at the very essence of things we experience. From lyrics in a song to the dialogue in a movie. It expands further than books and I think many people are blind to that. I think a really rewarding element that we’re taught as English majors is analysis of words.

This can also take wrong turns, if you’re an over-thinker, but in many contexts, I think I’ve understood people better because of analysis. This is to say, since learning how diction, syntax, and punctuation can change the entire meaning of a sentence, I’ve been more attentive to how people write. We all get that text that seems passive aggressive or angry – how do we know that? Diction, syntax, punctuation and so on. We all know there’s a difference between receiving a text that says “okay!” and “k”. This might seem small, but in the context of social interactions, it can make a huge difference in how you understand people and your relationship to them. 

Socially speaking, in a time when being politically correct is paramount, the words we use are to be chosen very carefully. From people like Donald Trump who throws words around, not caring about consequence, to our favorite celebrity who gets backlash for a tweet – words define our characters and how we are perceived. Being an English Major has definitely shed light on that. 

Additionally, as humans with strong emotions, words and language can change us or break us. How many times have we been consoled by someone and to this day, we remember what they said? How many times do we wish we could take back words in a fight? These are essential parts of what connects us to other humans, so spending time analyzing how words work and have the power to do that makes us better people. It opens a door of understanding that expands further than just a stack of books and infinite essays.

UC Irvine