UC Davis held a memorial for Gold Star Aggies ahead of the holiday

The Memorial Union is the heart, both literally and figuratively, of UC Davis

ASUCD and the ROTC program put on a memorial service yesterday to honor Gold Star Aggies, Aggies who had served and died in war.

Not many people know this, but the Memorial Union was dedicated in 1955 to, “all those who gave their lives in the service of their country.”

Memorial Day Ceremony

The short service followed by a reception was held at the Memorial Union. During the service, ASUCD President Alex Lee spoke about why they are there, Army ROTC did the raising of the colors as the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance were performed by Angela Yam and Cadet Itzel Moreno, respectfully.

Army ROTC who did the Raising of the Colors.

The Keynote Address was given by Veteran Nick Chase, who retold an emotionally charged story of his time in the army when he saw the Humvee carrying a fallen comrade whom he, “didn’t know… He was in a different unit than me… Both had the same job, but more importantly we were both soldiers.”

He recounted this story in order to show how they were all connected, regardless of unit, under the flag of the United States of America.

ASUCD President Alex Lee

Six Aggie Veterans then read all 135 names of Aggies who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. There is also a book, The Golden Memory Book, which was the name, picture and short biography of every single fallen-veteran UC Davis student/ alumni.

Gold Star Aggies

Gold Star Aggies

It’s good to see students coming to recognize the true heroes in today’s society.

Those that came to the ceremony

Have a good weekend everyone and remember the real reason why we have BBQ’s and the day off the last Monday of May.

UC Davis