Have you heard about We Are Aggie Pride?

Want to play board games and eat free pizza?

We Are Aggie Pride was developed in 2011 and officially launched in February 2012. It was founded by a group of students who wanted to help their peers stay in school even when facing sudden emergency financial crises.

They believe that no financial setback should be the reason for someones discontinuation here at UC Davis. They are there for those who experience such setback while having already used all their loans, and are doing what they can to earn money, even when it isn’t enough. They want their fellow Aggies to be able to continue their education.

They describe themselves as an organization who are committed to supporting students despite the financial crisis.

Sarah Durrand, a 3rd year Communications major and Executive Communication Director, is the first heard of this organization. Knowing it was a position that not only helped her get involved on campus, but also helped her peers to not drop out, she applied. She said:

“We Are Aggie Pride is so important because it helps students who literally have no other place to turn. And the fact that we’re heavily student-funded really shows the compassionate nature of Aggies. We’re here for each other. And WAAP is a great way to make sure we don’t lose any of our peers due to financial situations we can remedy. Go Ags!”

There are three main ways she says people can help:

Donate

We Are Aggie Pride is able to provide funds to students in need entirely because of student/faculty/staff/alumni/community donations. Donations can be made any time online at give.ucdavis.edu/Go/WAAP16, or at events.

Volunteer

Volunteers are always needed to help run events, table, and spread the word about We Are Aggie Pride. You can sign up for the volunteer list by talking to a current volunteer at one of their events, or by shooting them an email at [email protected].

Serve on the board of directors

This is the group of students who run the org – make decisions, grant awards, put on events, contact the press, etc. It’s great experience and there are a lot of different positions available. Applications are currently open, Aggie Job Link #811042. It is also worth noting is board applications are actually currently open for anyone who wants to apply and join.

There’s a Game Night fundraiser  May 12, 6-9 p.m. – there will be ! It’s a great place to bring a group friends, and it’s only $5 presale / $7 at the door for three hours of fantastically fun games and some tasty Woodstock’s pizza.

Folks are also welcome to attend the Dot Island Grill fundraiser happening all day on May 12th and May 13th. If you mention We Are Aggie Pride, 20% of your proceeds will go towards our cause.

UC Davis