The Tab UC Davis isn’t going anywhere

Cal Aggie, take a seat

As you may be aware, the Cal Aggie has thrown some major shade at The Tab UCD lately. From accusing us of “spamming” groups on Facebook to making derogatory comments about the quality of our journalism, they are definitely not onboard with having competition in the journalism field at Davis.

Their editorial attacking us today doubles as a huge acknowledgement of how many of you are reading and writing for us – witness the delicious line: “The Editorial Board urges UC Davis students to resist reading The Tab.”

Well, I’m here to tell them one thing: We’re. Not. Going. Anywhere.

First and foremost, I think we can all agree they’re just salty because of the numerous news stories we’ve broken before them.

I was approached about starting The Tab UCD back in January over LinkedIn messenger. At first I was incredulous, but after learning more and reading up on other school’s pages, I was all in.

The sign ups started rolling through, but it was hard work. At times I would get pits in my stomach, worried that my little experiment wasn’t going to work out. We had our first meeting and about 7 people showed up. Nonetheless, we ate pizza and chatted, and at the next meeting, there were more people. We scraped together enough articles and managed to launch during finals week of Winter Quarter, one of the hardest things I’ve done to date.

Hitting 100 Facebook likes was such an accomplishment, I cried. When I got my first comment on one of my articles, I also cried. Launching The Tab has been an enormous personal journey, and that’s why I get so fired up when people talk shit.

We’re out here because of YOU. We are able to continue writing articles and breaking news because the students keep reading what we put out. You keep clicking “share.” You keep sending the articles to your friends. That’s why we’re able to do what we do.

We run around campus all day looking for stories. We’re the ones marching next to you at the protest, or sitting next to you on the quad. We don’t get paid. We do this because we fucking love it.

So yeah, maybe we post in Facebook groups. Maybe our stories aren’t always “breaking news.” I personally have had people approach me at the gym while I was wearing a Tab t-shirt and verbally accost me because they don’t agree with some of our marketing techniques.

That’s fine. Keep coming up to me. I’m not scared.

I’m not giving up on The Tab UCD. I’ve met some of my favorite people on this campus in the last few months because of this little project of mine.

I know we have the potential to be huge, and I will PUSH until we get there, no matter what the California Aggie has to say.

UC Davis