How effective was the #FireKatehi walkout?

Today’s walk-out drew a large crowd of student protestors

Recently, I covered the #FireKatehi walkout that happened on campus.

After experiencing a day of protesting, I was left with a lot to ponder, most importantly, the actual efficacy of the walkout.

In all honesty, I feel like a lot of this is mob mentality.

The protestors seemed to be more organized than I had thought. They’d even set up a podium outside of Mrak and had banners.

But without one central leader I don’t know how well they’ll continue to do. They say they don’t want delegates because they want compete clarity. That they want democracy in their school. But they won’t get anything done if they try to be too much of a mob.

That’s one of the most basic aspects of democracy, is having delegates. Someone to congregate the ideas and express it.

They had representatives in a meeting the other day with Katehi, but didn’t allow anything to proceed. They actually got disruptive and the meeting had to be stopped because of the noise.

Furthermore, the Chancellor has made it very clear that she does not plan on resigning. This has been stated in multiple emails, and she does have the protection of the University, as well as copious sums of money to keep her position safe.

An excerpt from an email sent from The Office of the Chancellor this week

Obviously, the sentiment is admirable and student activism is never a bad thing, but the #FireKatehi movement still needs to decide on an endgame.

UC Davis