Everything you should do if you’re staying in Berkeley for spring break

And no, we won’t send you on a hike up to the Big C.

You left it too late to plan that road trip, you don’t have the funds for that last minute flight –  and didn’t you literally just see your family in winter break? You’re braving it out here in Berkeley. 

We’ve compiled a list of activities with views so Insta-worthy that they’d make your friends in Cuba and Cancún wish they were back in Bear territory. 

The Redwoods

Put on those once-worn walking boots and take a stroll with the giants in the Redwood Regional Park, just a 20 minute Uber away.

Have an epiphany about our phone dependence and put it in your pocket for an afternoon in nature (you haven’t got any signal anyway). Breath in that fresh off-campus air and imagine your escape to a life without civilization; you’ve watched that Tom Hanks film where he lives on an island, you’re sure you could do it in a forest. 

Head to a sports game

Take a trip to Oakland or SF and enjoy watching a game, while munching on overpriced hot dogs and regretting that face paint you applied whilst you walked out the door. You have no idea what the rules are, but the atmosphere is great and you might match the Captain on Tinder.

The beach

Go to a beach of your choice round Berkeley (Albany/North/Ocean to name a few) with picnic and towel in tow. Its free and the sand finding its way everywhere will still be worth it. Probably.

Visit Berkeley Botanical Gardens

No, really – we’re sending you to a garden. Pretend you’re a retired alum for the day and take a stroll, pretentious novel in hand, to our little green utopia.  

This has to be some kind of record?

Oakland Zoo

You’ll  have a fun relaxed day de-stressing amongst the wildlife, while pondering upon your Cal obligation to live a life of Veganism. Maybe you’ve just never seen how cute a meerkat can be? 

Cinema date

Your friends in Vegas aren’t going to be so smug when you ask them their views on the new cinematic extravaganza that is ‘Moonlight’ are they? They’ve been too busy losing money at roulette to focus and you’re about to blow them away with your revolutionary cinematographic knowledge. But you should probably watch it first. 

Day in San Francisco

Find your inner tourist and explore the wonders of the Golden City. This is what you imagined when you planned your undergraduate life, so satisfy your 18 year old ambitions and take that trip to Alcatraz and walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Have some clam chowder at Fisherman’s Wharf, imitate seal noises and watch seagulls nose dive for old ladies ice creams on Pier 39. It’s the stuff of dreams.

Food glorious food

You’ve basically run out of points anyway and you don’t want to run into that guy from your class – when you said you’d be in Cuba this week. So text that friend you’ve been meaning to see since January- queue for brunch in La Note, pick up that carbonara from Gypsy’s, or close your eyes in House of Curry’s and pretend you didn’t see that pot in their kitchen. Failing that – $7 student combo meal in Pappy’s?

Happy Holidaying!

UC Berkeley