How my sorority helped me cope with the election

And by ‘coped’, I mean ‘threw a righteous bitch fit and let everyone know this man isn’t our president’.

I look forward to the day my grandchildren ask me, “Where were you when Trump was elected?” and I can respond honestly, “In a sorority house, amongst flames of raging estrogen.”

Experiencing election night together, in horror

And there I was, the night of November 8, 2016, watching the live election result updates on the flat screen in our TV room. There was a shrine to Hillary resting on the coffee table, and my sisters were donned in blue “I’m With Her” t-shirts, eagerly chatting about how life-changing it would be once America elected its first female president.

The votes came in, one state after another, with our home state of California coming in as blue as ever, and the Bible belt holding on to its red leaning. As the number of remaining uncounted votes dwindled, the outcome became alarmingly clear. The United States of America, or rather, the electoral college designed to “represent” the people, voted Trump our president.

We were floored. The sister on my left was sobbing tremendously, burying her head into my shoulder for comfort. The sister on my right flipped over a chair and hollered, “Fuck Donald Trump!” Evidently, that song by YG feat. Nipsey Hussle was the soundtrack of our night.

Knowing that we, as an organization, really care

Now, a devil’s advocate may ask, “Why would a bunch of middle-class university elite, part of an age-old conservative organization that perpetuates gender stereotypes and employs discrimination to choose its members, cry over the election of Trump?”

Defining sororities like this is over-generalized and flawed, but rather than spend my time defending Greek life, I want to present an alternative, and more universal, argument pertaining to our dread. The fears that Trump’s election bubbled forth in us are inseparable from our identities as women, as advocates of acceptance and progression, as Americans who value human rights and equality.

Marching together to resist Trump’s rhetoric

The rhetoric Trump employed during his campaign, from “nasty woman” to “beautiful piece of ass” to “grab her by the pussy”, are degrading, sexist, and alienating to a solid half of America’s population. And, yes, there were women who cast their vote for Trump. Yes, female Republicans do exist and yes, there are women who value Trump’s platform.

I am not one of them, and neither are my fellow women who went to the streets to protest in the San Francisco Women’s March and the the Oakland Women’s March.

Showing our strength and sisterhood

My sorority held a sisterhood event in our house to make pink tutus and signs proclaiming our positions.

Madelaine Spiering, a rape survivor and chronic Lupus patient, made a sign that read, “You haven’t seen nasty yet.”

Monica Jimenez, a proud Latina and daughter of immigrant parents, held up “¡Viva la Mujer!”

Hannah Tivang, our former chapter president, carried out “My life, my body, my choice.”

We were angry, but we manifested this anger in strength, pride, and an unwavering commitment to uphold the rights of women.

Staying positive

To all the critics and skeptics who say that these demonstrations will change nothing, I firmly disagree. These movements changed something in me: seeing thousands of women, not just in the Bay Area, but across the country, march in solidarity revived my hope that the America we fought for continues to stand. No one administration, no 4 year term, can reverse all the progress that people of this nation have made.

In the words of Michelle Obama, “There is no limit to what we, as womxn, can accomplish.”

UC Berkeley