What to expect at the UC Berkeley vs. Stanford game

Please don’t wear red

If there’s one thing every Cal student has in common, it’s our disdain for Stanford- the school itself, the students, their sports team, and even the color red. The Big Game is the pinnacle of our constant and ongoing war, and as expected it can get pretty crazy. If it’s your first Big Game or your last, here are a few things to look out for this Saturday:

Themed shirts

You know the ones: they read out “Voldemort went to Stanford,” or even just the ever popular, “F*ck Stanford.” You’ve seen them, you own them, and every Big Game you take great delight in breaking them out of your closet and shoving them into Stanford fans’ faces. Who knew a simple shirt could bring so much joy?

Relationships with the enemy

InĀ Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare said, “consorting with the enemy is so much spicier,” or something like that. Every year there are those “house divided” couples who get heckled by their friends and random bystanders, begging, “pick a side!” But the heart wants what it wants, and sometimes that even means someone you’re supposed to hate. It’s poetic, really.

Angry chanting

The Cal student section at Memorial Stadium is a sacred place. The only acceptable colors are blue and yellow, so don’t even think of wearing anything else. If for some reason, your significant other is a Stanford fan, pick a different section. We’re notorious for chanting, “take off that red shirt!” until the person either leaves the section from shame or literally strips. Either outcome is enjoyable.

Crazy band performance

Martini glasses? No one knows

Our band has a great rep, because they always have some of the wildest performances. Usually there’s a friendly competition between ours and Stanford’s, but this year Stanford’s band isn’t allowed to travel, due to some prior offenses they’ve not yet made up for. Either way, our band always goes crazy during the Big Game, so you can’t miss it.

Trashy insults

Never in your life will you hear quite so many comments on “little trees” and “chopping down wood.” They’re clearly innuendos but the you that has been day drinking can’t exactly tell if you’re insulting the Stanford fans or complimenting them. Better just not to partake.

Wild frat parties

Bubbles, foam, and a bunch of twenty something year olds dancing to loud music- which is the only way to spend a Saturday. No different than your average game day, but you can expect some extra flair in the form of Stanford themed jabs.

Vandalism

Let’s hope that this is more uncommon than the other ones, but you can never really tell with a rivalry this strong.

UC Berkeley