BREAKING: ‘Shots fired’ on UC Berkeley campus a false alarm

It was an alert meant for the University of Cincinnati

A student participating in the Student Store protest stood up and announced a shooter on campus after allegedly receiving an alert from UCPD.

Another participant said said:  “The protestor who received the alert stood up with a megaphone and announced it to the hall”.

However, the alert was actually not referring to Berkeley at all, but instead from the University of Cincinnati police department, according to nixle.

BNO News has announced UCincinnati is currently on lockdown:

A spokesperson from the UCPD said: “No one has heard about a shooting on campus today, I just asked my coworkers and none of them knew what I was even talking about.

“If there was a shooting I would have heard”.

The student continued:

“Everyone’s assuming this wasn’t real, it sounds like. And there’s nothing on UCPD’s website.

“I don’t know what’s going on but I don’t think the shooting was real.”

6:26 update:

Justine Acuna, the student who alerted Berkeley Facebook groups of the supposed shooting, says “I’m very sorry for the wrong information. I got the information from a member of our community and they got it through a text message alert from Nixle. When I heard about it, I immediately just wanted everyone to know. I didn’t know that the UCPD that they were talking about was the University of Cincinnati. Again, I want to apologize. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Stay safe y’all.”

UC Berkeley