Everything you need to check off your bucket list while attending UC Berkeley

A complete guide to the best school on earth

Nestled across the bay from the sparkling city of San Francisco is the best university in all the land.  Obviously, this means there’s no shortage of things to do here at Cal, but there are the more obvious iconic ones you absolutely need to do before you graduate.

Incoming Bears have the next four years to get some of this stuff done, but for those of us who are in our final year it’s time to really get cracking.

Gameday on Piedmont before the Big Game

Good ol’ gameday

Every Cal student knows its a requirement to rep Berkeley during every sporting event, in any foreign country, and even during casual conversation. But at no time is it more important than the Big Game against Stanford, the rival we love to hate. Every year it’s a huge deal, and this year it’ll be at Memorial Stadium, which means you can’t miss it.

Even more important is stopping by all the parties going on along Piedmont before the game begins.

Visit the Campanile at sunset

imagine this sunset from INSIDE the campanile

Every semester there’s a day they allow Berkeley students to go to the top of the iconic Campanile past normal hours, at 4PM. It’s so rare an event that it has to be special. PLUS, as a Cal student, it’s free to head to the top. If for some reason, you miss that night? Well you could always try making friends with some of the staff, and convince them to take you up past closing.

Worth a try!

Roll down 4.0 hill

Doesn’t it look rollable af?

Before Berkeley students actually start at Berkeley, they all dream of the elusive 4.0. By the time senior year rolls around, they accept their imperfect fate, though it isn’t easy. Some few take to superstition and try to get luck on their sides, choosing to roll down the hill between Strawberry Creek and Morrison Hall.

Legend has it that if you roll just right, you’ll get a 4.0 that semester. Hasn’t worked for me yet, but it’s always worth a try!

Wade in Strawberry Creek

~ beautiful ~

Strawberry Creek is an iconic part of Berkeley’s history. I mean, how many campuses have a minor river winding through their grounds? In winter when California gets its little bit of rain, the creek swells in size, and in summer it barely constitutes a stream. But still, we love it.

You wouldn’t want to leave Berkeley without at least trying to take a little swim (or walk) through it.

Hike the Big C

That BIG C view

The Big C is about as basic as it gets when it comes to Berkeley bucket lists, but you’d be surprised how many seniors still haven’t been to the top. Grab a pair of shoes with some grip (this is non-negotiable) and head to the top. Foggy or clear, the view is incredible.

On a perfect day, you’ll see as far as San Francisco and the Golden Gate, and at sunset there’s just no comparison.

Get chicken tenders at the GBC

Oh wait… This one’s a bit of a heartbreaker. Once upon a time, (last year) before the Gods that be decided on-campus dining needed to be healthier, any student could stop into the GBC on an hour break and pick up a plate of chicken tenders. It was a beautiful privilege, one taken from anyone younger than the class of 2018. Now, the closest thing you’ll get is a burrito. Buy that burrito though.

You never know when they’ll take that away too.

Take a nap on the glade

NAP WORTHY

Napping in public isn’t my favorite thing, and the glade often has patchy wet spots, but honestly, it’s worth it. There’s nothing like spending a warm day people watching shirtless frisbee throwers and petting all the dogs that come your way, with a little 20 minute nap wedged in there somewhere.

Taco Tuesday at Cafe D

There’s a dark time in every Berkeley student’s history when we refer to Cafe D as Cafe Durant, because we just don’t know any better. Known for their daily deals on food and, ahem, drink, a TT spent at Cafe D is a huge rite of passage.

Obscene amounts of beer pitchers and one dollar tacos shared among friends is probably the only good way to spend a Tuesday.

Honestly, though, however you choose to spend your four years at Cal is bound to be amazing.

Such an incredible university creates great opportunities, just make sure not to pass a single one up!

UC Berkeley