Berkeley ranks second highest for crime per student in California colleges

Naturally, Stanford came first

According to the San Jose Mercury News, UC Berkeley ranks second for the highest crime reported per student in California colleges.

Berkeley ranks between Stanford at number one, and UC Santa Cruz fourth.

The report said at UC Berkeley, with nearly 38,000 students, there were 371 reported crimes reported to campus officials during those years for a rate of 3.29 crimes a year per 1,000 students.

Among Stanford’s student population of 16,963, there were 404 total crimes reported.  There were 30 reported sex offenses in 2014 and 26 sex offenses in 2013, according to its Stanford’s records.

School officials cite the urban environment in which the city exists and insists that they are not complacent in their attempts to ensure campus safety.

UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof told San Jose Mercury News: “We cannot avoid the fact that the university is situated in an urban environment, where crime remains a challenge.

“But we can, as we have, make concerted efforts to fight it while educating and supporting the campus community we serve.”

Still, this might be a good excuse to sign up for that kickboxing class you’ve been putting off all year.

UC Berkeley