Berkeley class of 2020, you made the right choice

Why would you want to go anywhere else?

Did you know that UC Berkeley is the best value college in the nation? This year Forbes released a list comparing three hundred schools nationwide, proving that California golden bears truly get the best bang for their buck.

The typical total cost of attendance as an in-state student at UC Berkeley is about $35,225, with 62% of undergraduates receiving financial aid.

Berkeley is the original University of California, founded in 1868 and leading to the subsequent formation of eight more UC schools: UC Los Angeles, UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, and UC Merced.

But it’s the breadth of programs and world-renowned professors at UC Berkeley that make it stand out from all the rest.

A view from the Campanile, our famous clock and bell tower. At 307 feet tall, it is the third tallest in the world!

In fact, Berkeley has 22 Nobel Laureates, 9 of whom are still living and 7 of whom are current faculty members. The most recent winner is Randy Schekman, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 2013 for his research in physiology and medicine.

With a student-faculty ratio of 17 to 1, you have the opportunity to study under world-famous scholars and leaders like Robert Reich, an economist who has served in three national administrations and now occupies a role on campus as the Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy.

His wealth and poverty class is one of Berkeley’s most sought-after lectures. Or if economics isn’t your thing, take a class from Judith Butler, one of the world’s leading experts in the fields of philosophy and gender theory.

A picture from the bonfire rally at the Greek Theater, the night before the 2014 Big Game against Stanford.

UC Berkeley is also the site of groundbreaking research in all fields of study, ranging from humanities like history and anthropology to STEM subjects like biology and chemistry. With Ernest Lawrence’s invention of the cyclotron particle accelerator in 1932, sixteen new elements were discovered on Berkeley’s campus including Plutonium, Berkelium, and Californium.

With stats like these, it’s no wonder UC Berkeley received over 100,000 applications this year. Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to the golden bear family!

UC Berkeley