What it’s actually like to take a Gender and Women’s Studies class

Not everyone hates men

After my last final and my last paper and my last deadline had passed last fall, I finally admitted to myself what I was too scared to confront: I had burnt out. I think we can all attest to the feeling of being well and truly done with school. I had taken about 1/4 of the classes required for my major in a single semester and I sure as hell didn’t want to hear the words “cognitive dissonance” one more time.

So when my (tragically late) phase 1 finally rolled around, I decided to do what any sane college student would do: I signed up for classes randomly. The process of selection was very scientific; if the title sounded interesting, the class wasn’t on a Friday (thank you schedule builder), and there was an open seat (why was my enrollment so late I do not understand?):

I’d copy and paste the CCN into telebears and hope for the best. Somehow I ended up with enough units to be considered a student.

+1 very confused student ?

When I looked at my schedule a few days before the semester started (not recommended, highly stress inducing), I was reminded that one of my selections was the somewhat intimidating “Alternate Sexualities in a Transnational World,” of the highly famed department: Gender and Women’s Studies.

Many people, myself included, have several preconceived notions about what it means to take a GWS class in general. In movies and TV the trope of “GWS majors” is overplayed and rote; the characters subject to a range of clichéd ideals. They range from the trivial to the downright ignorant; and by enrolling I thought I’d be subject to all sorts of said stereotypes.

What followed has been perhaps one of the most enlightening experiences I’ve ever had. This by no means indicates surprise or confusion; every class we take has the ability to change and shape us in unthinkable ways. But my personal experience with this one has been eye-opening, enough that I recommend it to passers-by and I think they might assume I’m an overzealous sprouler.

I’ve been in the class long enough to debunk three of the biggest Gender and Women’s Studies myths:

“Everyone in your class, is like, an extreme feminist, and probably like, totally hates men”

As living proof of someone in said class who does not in fact hate men, I can attest that this myth is the easiest to spot. It reads sort of like, “A class centered around gender theory doesn’t seem like it caters directly to me as a man, and my existence is threatened by that.”

In reality, there are “extreme” levels of discussion on what it means to be a feminist in my class, what exactly misogyny entails, and how gender politics plays a role in our every day life. And while such material may make it easy to get jaded about men in general, none of the students in my class exhibit any overt signs of “like, totally hating men.”

Just your average man-hater, on her way to class!!!

“I heard there’re only chicks in your class!” “Nah dude, I bet there’re a few guys too, but they’re just tryna get laid!”

Another easy one. The makeup of my class specifically is a perfect example; about 25% of the students are male. This may be a far cry from the egalitarian 50/50 we’re going for, but it’s an even further cry from two horny freshman (most days).

And while we’re on the subject, it may be advantageous for men to sit in on these classes. After all, learning a little bit more about women in general may actually help you get laid. Just sayin’.

The THRILLING saga

“I’d never take a GWS class, they’re like, all about lesbians and other weird girl stuff, or sex or something”

This one… well it may not be a myth. In reality, classes in departments like Gender and Women’s Studies are about the marginalized; it’s in the title.

The fear that comes from having to learn about something outside of what’s comfortable, that’s where the myth comes from, and that’s why we consider it “weird.”

But since college is all about stepping outside of your comfort zone and stuff, maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

Major buzzwords

Maybe randomly entering CCNs is not your thing, or maybe you’ve never met a humanities class you’ve liked and you’re not looking for another. Maybe GWS just isn’t for you.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned from this semester it’s that sometimes we get the opportunity to experience something vastly different from our norm for a reason – and nothing, not even grossly outdated stereotypes, should stand in the way of that.

UC Berkeley