Why Mike Dunleavy Sr. is important for Tulane athletics

The former NBA coach could impact more than just basketball

On March 28th of this past year, it was announced that Mike Dunleavy Sr. would become the new head coach of the Tulane men’s basketball team. Mike Dunleavy Sr. is a former NBA coach who coached the likes of many greats, including Magic Johnson, and made several playoff appearances. He was even named NBA Coach of the Year in 1999. This appointment is extremely important for Tulane. The basketball team has struggled in recent years, and a new, experienced coach could be what the team needs to kick into gear. The hire could also lead to further success of Tulane athletics as a whole.

Tulane’s basketball program has always had potential, but has never been able to capitalize on it. The team has seen much young talent such as Dylan Osetkowski, who made the decision to transfer to Texas. A stronger team under Mike Dunleavy Sr. would prevent further losses of important players like this. Because of Dunleavy’s prior, successful experience with professional basketball players, it stands to reason that Tulane basketball will greatly improve in the coming seasons and most likely become a competitive team in their current division.

This hire and potentially strong basketball team are huge stepping-stones for growing the athletic department and maybe moving to a better conference in the future. The state of conferences today is shifting, and will only continue to shift in the future. The Big 12 conference is in plans to expand, and Tulane is actually one of the schools considered. Does Tulane have a shot at moving up to the Big 12? Probably not. But, hiring a coach as high profile and successful as Mike Dunleavy Sr. certainly puts Tulane on the right track for a potential move in the future. A strong basketball would only add to the incentive for a move.

Tulane has already moved from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference in recent years. Tulane is a school with a future, not a present. The current state of athletics is far from strong. The football team, for example, has been ranked by various different sources over 100 out of the 128 teams. Tulane’s reputation from outsiders is not one of impressive sports. But the decision to hire a successful former NBA coach, in addition to the new, well-respected football coach Willie Fritz, is sending a message that Tulane is serious about their athletics and could become a major contender in a few years.

While it is too soon to tell the extent to which Mike Dunleavy Sr. will help Tulane basketball and Tulane athletics, the new coach a step in the right direction for future growth and success of Tulane athletics.

Tulane