I realized I’m not the only one who regrets coming to Tulane

I found friends by not having any

First of all, I should say publishing an article is terrifying to me. Being an extremely anxious person, it’s not easy to put something out there for the entire Internet to see. So you can imagine putting a potentially controversial article up on Facebook was causing me some minor panic. But it didn’t take very long for me to see instead of inciting anger, I had done a pretty good thing.

Moments after I shared the article to my own wall, I started getting messages from acquaintances, friends, and strangers alike. One of my favorite responses being: “A blessing that you do not know at the moment of impact how far-reaching the shock waves will be.” This occasion was no exception to that statement. People were coming to me to offer and/or ask for support, advice, and help.

People who’d been through the same thing offered me support and friendship

Having already been in a focus group for people considering transferring, I knew how comforting it was to find people who could understand what you’ve gone through. Connections were starting to be made, and within an hour, we had a group chat of eight students who didn’t know they’d been looking for each other all year.

Part of a message I got in response to the article

Suddenly a group of people who couldn’t seem to find the right friends finally had people to relate to. Not only this, but total strangers sympathetic to my cause came offering their friendship and support. A senior in high school from my hometown, who I’d never met, messaged me because he related to the problems I’ve had and was worried he would face the same things at the college he’d chosen.

The name and logo (based on Ghostbusters) for our group of potential transfer students

Long story short, there’s a lesson in all this: You are not alone.

The fact people are coming together based on feeling isolated says something about how we’re handling our problems. People keep telling me I’m brave for saying something.

If all it takes is a little bravery to make your life better, isn’t that worth the risk? This isn’t just a follow-up story, it’s a call to action. Whatever it is you’re going through, there is no way you’re the only one. Whether it be depression or anxiety, substance abuse, racial or gender inequality, or anything at all, you don’t have to suffer in silence.

Not only is there strength in numbers, there’s comfort. No one should ever feel like they have to be alone. No one should ever feel like they have no options.

This being said, you don’t have to write it in an article and post it for the world to see. Trust me, I know how scary it can be to speak your mind. I don’t know how many people are actually going to take my advice. I really don’t know what specifically you can do to make yourself heard. I just know, and need for you to know, that you are not the only one. And hey, united we stand. So don’t keep sitting. Stand up, speak up. Whatever or whoever you’re looking for is out there, and they’re probably looking for you, too.

And if anyone is brave enough to take the leap, here’s a place to start:

#RaiseYourVoice

Tulane